Chapter 19: All I Need

Adrianna strode through campus, Tom walking by her side. It was the first day of the new semester, and she was showing Tom around before her classes started. It felt strange showing him around; Adrianna was almost sure Tom was never going to go to school- let alone with her. After that last fiasco with that director spreading lies, Tom had given up acting- at least for a short time anyways- to pursue an academic career. He had always been interested in fisheries, so here he was, going to take classes for the first time.

            “Did you make sure you grabbed everything when you left the house?” she asked, glancing at her boyfriend over her shoulder. “Books, notebooks, pencils, etcetera?”

            The blond nodded. “I grabbed it all, sweetheart,” he assured. “I’ll be fine, I promise.”

            “Are you sure? I mean… it’s your first semester. Those are always a bit rough,” Adrianna double-checked. “I don’t think you should have too many problems, but… you never know.”

            Tom smirked as the two of them sat down on a nearby bench. “I’ll be fine. One of my classes is with you, after all. Surely you wouldn’t willingly let me fail.”

            Adrianna rolled her eyes. “No, but I’m certainly not going to let you cheat either,” she retorted. “I’ll study with you, and I’ll let you compare notes with me, but you will do your own work, babe.”

            “I know, I know, I was just teasing you.”

            Adrianna set her bag down carefully next to her, remembering her laptop was somewhat precariously bouncing around her backpack. “Anyways… as I was saying, I’m sure you’ll do fine. Our classes overlap a little bit, so I may be able to help out if you get too stuck,” she went on. Tom nodded, looking up at the sky. Adrianna noticed this and asked, “Are you alright?”

            He nodded again. “Yea, just thinking, is all,” Tom replied. “Hard to believe I’m going to be going to class again.”

            Adrianna smiled. “I know. I never thought that I would see the day. I always thought I would be dating a famous actor. But nope! Here we are and you’re getting ready for your first day of class.” Adrianna paused, her smile fading a little before speaking again. “I feel like a mom letting her kid go to his first day of kindergarten- proud and sad.”

            “Oh don’t feel like that, Dree,” Tom comforted. “I’ll be okay. Although I do have to agree with you. Hard to believe I’m here doing this.”

            “You don’t regret it do you?” Adrianna questioned. Honestly, she wasn’t sure if she should’ve asked that, but she was curious. Tom hadn’t been quite like himself since he quit, but she wasn’t sure if she minded that or not.

            “Nah,” he answered. “All I need is you, darling. Doesn’t matter if I’m acting, or going back to school. As long as you’re by my side, everything is going to be alright. What I’m doing career wise doesn’t make too much a difference right now. All that fame would’ve meant nothing if I couldn’t have had you there with me. Besides… this is something I have always wanted to do, and now because of everything that happened and you pushing me, I’m finally doing it.”

            “And I’m sure you’ll be great at it, love,” Adrianna assured. She glanced down at her watch, looking at the time. “Well… I suppose I should get to class. Greg will kill me if I’m late to class.”

            Tom laughed. “On a first name basis with your professors now, eh?”

            Adrianna shrugged. “The ones I like at any rate! Greg, Marty, Randy, Marlos… you get the picture,” she replied, picking up her bag and draping it across her shoulder. “I’ll see you when I get out, mmkay? Think you can stay out of trouble for an hour and a half?”

            “Hmmm… I think I can manage,” Tom joked, standing to give her a kiss on the cheek. “It’s your last semester; I know you can do this. Now go knock ‘em dead, sweetie!”

            Adrianna smiled, but rolled her eyes at her boyfriend’s antics. “Oh I will. If you see Risa or Val let them know we’re still on for lunch.”

            With a nod from Tom, Adrianna left him standing there under the tree in the courtyard. It had been a whirlwind since she had first gotten with Tom, and the last bit of drama was still very fresh in her head, despite it being a few months ago. She was glad they were able to get through it all together, against all odds. It had been rough, but they had survived by sticking together. It certainly felt nice hearing Tom say she was all he needed, and that was just the boost she needed to get through this day, and many more too.

            After a few steps, the girl pulled out her phone, and texted Tom one sentence.

            You’re all I need too.