Chapter 6: Winning the Lottery

Hey everyone! Sorry this is so short! I just really wanted to get something up for you all today, so here it is. I hope you all enjoy! <3

*************************************************************************

"Dree! We got a problem!" Valarie shouted from the other side of the room, swinging her controller in her hands like it would help.

"I've got it, I've got it," Adrianna calmed.

The girls were locked into an intense battle of survival on Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. Valarie was obsessed with shooting zombies, and Adrianna was honestly getting bored with it. They had been playing for hours, and Adrianna was fairly sure her hands were going to fall off at any moment. Adrianna watched the television screen fill with an overwhelming number of zombies, she pushed the right trigger button, doing her best to shoot as many as she could. But, unfortunately for her, that was the moment she ran out of ammo, causing her character to also become mauled to death by zombies. As the game ended, Adrianna sat her controller down on the couch beside her.

"Wow, round fourteen!" Val exclaimed. "That's the farthest we've gotten in a long time." She paused for a second. "One more round?"

Adrianna shook her head. "I need a break before I start to feel any more like a zombie."

Valarie sat her controller down. "Alright," she sighed before pausing for a few moments. She looked over at her friend. "Are you okay? You've been kind of slow today."

Adrianna debated what to tell her friend over in her head. She didn't know if she wanted to share the experience she had had the night before with Tom with Valarie or not. Adrianna was more of a private individual, and certainly wanted to keep her business to herself. But with Valarie being one of her closest friends, she was bound to find out one way or another.

Adrianna shrugged. "Just had a long night," she answered vaguely.

Valarie raised an eyebrow. "With what? I'm sure you couldn't have been doing anything too important."

Adrianna felt her face flush pink. "I thought it was kind of important..."

Valarie raised an eyebrow. "What? Did someone die? Did you go to jail? Did you win the lottery? Get laid? Just tell me already!" The girl flung a pillow across the room at Adrianna out of frustration.

Adrianna caught the pillow deftly. "It was one of those," she muttered quietly.

Adrianna watched her friend's eyes study her for a moment. She could tell that Valarie was trying to figure out which of the things she had said was the most likely to have happened. "So who died?" Valarie eventually asked.

The brunette rolled her eyes. "No one died, Val," she stated.

"So you won the lottery?"

"No," Adrianna sighed.

Valarie frowned. "Well you certainly didn't go to jail, otherwise you would be telling me about the emotional scarring you would've endured there. So that means..." Valarie's voice trailed off and then she let off a high-pitched squeal. "You didn't, did you?"

Adrianna felt her face flush pink again as she smiled sheepishly, nodding slowly. "Yea," she admitted. "I did."

Valarie sat there in a stunned silence for a few moments before speaking again. "You're joking right? I thought you wanted to wait until you were married?"

Adrianna shrugged. "I did... but I changed my mind," she went on. "I'm not getting any younger, Val. And besides, I do love Tom, and I feel like I can trust him with this. I certainly couldn't have trusted Matthias or any other guy I've dated with it; but I know Tom is different than them, and I know regardless to what happens, I'm not going to regret this."

"If you say so," Val muttered. Adrianna could tell that Val was just giving a default answer. Deep down, she knew Val was judging the decision she had made and was just trying to not talk about it anymore.

"You can stop judging me, Val," Adrianna said bravely. "You can't say anything since you and Matt have been doing it for months now."

"Matt and I are very different from you and Tom though," Valarie reminded.

"Tom and I don't argue like you and Matt do," Adrianna remembered. "You guys fight over pity, little things. No offense, I'm surprised you're still together."

"Believe me, so am I," Val sighed. "I love him, but he's a bit much at times."

That was nothing Adrianna didn't already know. Valarie and Matt were always fighting, and it was seemingly never-ending. It wasn't a secret- everyone knew about it. Many dinner parties were ruined because of their behavior. It was the main reason Adrianna, Tom, Rupert, and Marisa didn't invite them out much. Adrianna knew they loved each other, but at the same time Valarie and Matt couldn't stand each other. The girl silently prayed that she and Tom wouldn't fall into the same hole her friends had.

"You're telling me," Adrianna added.

"I just would hate to see you two to become like us," Valarie explained. "And it was right after that happened that things started going like this."

Adrianna figured as much. But she would be damned if she let that happen to Tom and herself. "I won't let that happen," she replied, shaking her head.

Valarie said nothing more on the topic, and picked up her controller again. She exited out of the game and made her way back to the Xbox home screen. She looked at Adrianna for a moment before asking, "Would you mind if I played some Skyrim?"

Adrianna shook her head. "Go right ahead."

As her friend began playing her game, Adrianna's mind began to wander back to their conversation. The girl was honestly a bit afraid of what her relationship with Tom was going to be like now that they had in fact taken the next step. Adrianna was a bit worried that it would turn into the disaster that was Valarie and Matt's relationship. The brunette pushed her hair out of her face, taking a deep breath in the process. There was no turning back now, and, no matter what happened from here, Adrianna couldn't take back what happened last night. She didn't want to take it back now, and she sincerely hoped she never did. All she could do now was pray that nothing would change for the worst and that Tom would always be the same Tom she fell in love with nearly two years ago...