Chapter 3: Dinner Conversations

Hey everyone. Sorry this took so long. The past month of college has been killing me both mentally and physically. Even as I type this short message I'm fighting the urge to drift off to sleep. This chapter is not the best, and I really don't like it, but I hope you still do. Hopefully more to come soon.

*******************************************************************

Adrianna held Tom's hand tightly as they walked through the crowded restaurant, following the waiter to where Marisa and Rupert were already sitting. Although Adrianna herself wasn't terribly hungry, she was sure both Tom and Rupert were. The couple finally joined their friends at a table towards the back of the restaurant. The waiter handed the two of them menus before scurrying away. Adrianna was about to protest about no drinks, but soon realized there were already glasses sitting in front of her and Tom.

"About time you two got here," Marisa greeted, taking a sip from her glass. "I was beginning to wonder if you guys had gotten lost."

Adrianna rolled her eyes. "I had to go home first to drop my books off. Plus we had to let Timber out."

"Oh yea," Marisa mumbled. "I forgot you guys had a dog."

"I don't know how you could forget about her," Tom added.

"To be honest, I have no idea why I did either," Marisa admitted, unrolling her silverware of the napkin they were wrapped in. "Just been one of those days I guess."

Almost as if on cue, a waiter sat down a bowl of chips and salsa, which Rupert immediately began digging into. In between bites, he asked, "So what have you two been up to? Staying busy I suppose?"

Tom decided to answer that question first. "Yea, you know how it is. I've been busy with that movie. Almost done with it though, luckily. Once that is complete, I've got a few auditions up for a couple more." He glanced at Adrianna, waiting for her to add to it.

"And I've just been going to class and chasing fish around tanks all day," she added drearily. "This is the first day off I've had in a while. I could definitely use it too."

"Which is why we came here," Marisa concluded. "You two work too hard. Seriously. When was the last time you had any fun?"

Adrianna seriously thought about it. It had been a while since she and Tom had done anything fun. She hardly thought lying around watching The Big Bang Theory counted as fun to anyone but her, so beyond that there hadn't been anything exciting in her life recently. "No idea," she sighed.

Tom draped his arm over her shoulder. "It's been too hectic to do anything. Once we get home it's dinner time and then we go to sleep just to repeat it all over again."

"Oh shut up Tom," Rupert stated in between bites. "Your lives aren't that boring. At least you've been in some movies in recent times. I haven't been in one in ages! I'm getting rusty."

Adrianna watched Tom's facial expressions for a moment before he spoke again. "Well I'm supposed to be finishing this one next week. Why don't you come with me to the auditions? Maybe you'll land yourself a role too?"

Adrianna pondered the thought of Tom and Rupert in another movie together. It had been a few years since that last happened. Honestly, she thought it was a brilliant idea. She was about to add her thoughts when Marisa exclaimed, "You should do it!"

Before anyone else could respond, the waiter returned and took their orders. Once he departed to the kitchen, the conversation continued. "Why not? You two haven't been able to spend much time together in recent times. This would be a great opportunity for you two to further your careers and have fun at the same time," Adrianna went on.

"Says you," Marisa said matter-of-factly. "I think you need to do a movie with Tom."

"As far as you know, she already has," Tom replied, winking in the process, causing Adrianna to smack him playfully. The girl shook her head, placing her focus on the now almost empty bowl of tortilla chips in front of her. She grabbed one and dipped it gently into the salsa before biting into it.

"Hey, what you two do in your spare time is your business and not mine," Marisa stated, backing up away from the table slightly, raising her palms in the air.

Adrianna gave her friend a stern look as she finished chewing her food. "Oh Risa you should know better than that," she answered upon swallowing her food. "Tom and I would never-"

"Alright! There will be none of that talk here," Rupert intervened. "We're going to have a lovely evening-"

"Speaking of that," Tom cut off, "what else are we doing tonight beyond this?"

Rupert shrugged. "I dunno. There's tons of things we could do. We could go bowling, or golfing, or to the beach, or whatever! It just depends on what you all want to do, I suppose. We didn't really figure anything else out because we didn't know how long you two would be able to stay out."

"It certainly doesn't matter to me," Adrianna answered. "I'm down for whatever you throw at us."

Silence fell over the group for a moment as they tried to figure out exactly what they were going to do after dinner. Honestly, Adrianna had no idea what sounded better. It had been a while since she had done any of the things Rupert had suggested, so at that point, she was cool with any of them.

"Well if we go bowling we could play on teams," Marisa suggested. "That could be pretty interesting."

Murmurs of agreement sounded throughout the group. "Then it's settled. We'll go after we finish eating," Tom announced almost on queue. As he said it, the food was brought out to them, the waiter setting each meal in front of them before walking off once again. As Adrianna began digging into her food while listening to the new conversation that was forming, she couldn't help but think her night was just starting.