Chapter 12: Lucky Thirteen

Hey everyone! Sorry so much for this absolutely huge delay in uploading. I have been incredibly busy with class work, wedding planning, and soon I'll be adding work back to that list. I never intended on this chapter to take so long for me to write, but for some reason it took forever. But today, I sat down in my break between classes and finished it. It's random, but after here, we're getting into the main plot, so be ready. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy this, and I hope I'll be able to upload again soon.

By the way... I hope my hockey withdrawals NEVER get this bad again that I have to write about it in a story non-related to the sport. lol :P

**************************************************************************************

Adrianna groaned at the stupidity that was transpiring on the ice below her. Once again, the referees were making a call against her team. Throughout the years, Adrianna had noticed how heavily the referees favored the other teams. The girl often wondered in her youth if giving up her college dreams to become a referee would be worth it. The thought had crossed Adrianna's mind many times, only to have her remember she was a terrible ice skater due to her weak ankles. As she watched one of their defensemen skate into the penalty box, the thought crossed her mind once again.

She rested her head on her fist, staring intently at the ice before muttering, "I should have made my sign."

This, of course, got Tom's attention. He looked away from the game, a bewildered look plastered to his face. "What sign are you talking about?" he asked.

"A long time ago, I saw this picture on the internet, and this lady had made a sign that said, 'Ref, are you pregnant? Because you've missed two periods.' And I've always wanted to make it, but I keep forgetting," Adrianna explained, feeling a little silly about it.

Although Tom was far from happy with how the game was turning out, he smiled. "Only you would write that on a sign," he replied.

Adrianna shrugged. "I can think of at least 20,000 other people would right about now," she retorted, winking. "I don't know if you've noticed, but right now, the Wings fans are pretty upset with the way these refs have been treating their boys."

The girl wasn't kidding; there hadn't been too many games Adrianna had been to in which the refs had been booed at as loudly as this. The girl recalled every once in a while, while watching on the television, if the referees made a call that was particularly senseless, you could clearly hear the thousands of fans at the arena shouting their dismay. Adrianna was fairly sure if anyone was watching at home, they would hear the same thing.

The girl snapped out of her thoughts as a buzzer went off, signaling a goal being scored. She stood, trying to get a better look at what was transpiring. Sure enough, there was the white jerseys of the opponent clustered together, clearly celebrating a power-play goal that brought the game to a tied score of three. Adrianna clenched her fists, throwing herself back down in her chair. This was not good, not good at all. She glanced up at the scoreboard, mostly to check the time. There was less than two minutes left in the game, and she knew it was crunch time. Coming back and winning this was not improbable, but Adrianna knew her team was going to have to push harder than before to make it so.

She watched the replay of the goal on the big screen hanging from the ceiling. There was no way the goalie would've been able to stop it. Adrianna hated to admit it, but it was a good shot, but she didn't want to say it aloud.

"Lucky shot," she scoffed. "If his buddy over there wasn't interfering with Howard, that shot would've never went in."

"Right!" Tom agreed, taking a sip of his soda. "What an ass."