Chapter 59

Tadhg

Caoilainn's drooling lightly on my undershirt and I can feel her gentle heart beating against my chest. We're on the couch and the TV's on with the volume down low. We must have dozed off but something outside woke me up. I can hear people talking and the slamming of car doors.

One of our neighbors must be in trouble, but I can't tell what kind without getting up to look. I don't move, however, because that would mean waking Caoilainn. I'm not ready to have the weight of her move away from me. I'm trying to enjoy having her in my arms for as long as I can. Being overseas, this injury and all that it has done to us, is making me nostalgic to hold onto to her for a little while longer tonight. I don't want to let her go.

Still, whatever it is, it must be serious. I can see red flashing lights outside the window. I think an ambulance just pulled up. I hope everyone's ok.

I wish they'd move the vehicle a little further away from the window, however, it's lights are hurting my eyes. I close and rub them to try to alleviate the irritation but it's not helping. I feel uncomfortable. I can't get out from under their invading strobe effect. I try to lean back against the couch and close my eyes to block it out but it doesn't help.

I've been getting migraines these last few days and right now I'm starting to get auras that concern me. I hope another headache isn't going to hit. I need a break from them for a few days.

"Caoilainn," I whisper in her ear, and then more forcefully. "Caoilainn, we gotta get up. Caoi, wake up, Hellcat." I gently shake her shoulders and nudge her lightly with my arm. "Come on," I say as she starts to sit up.

"Something's going on outside. Our neighbors; go look." Caoilainn stands up dazed and moves unconsciously to the window to glance outside.

"There're a lot of people out there, Tadhg," I hear her say as my leg begins to shake.

Oh, shit.

"Caoilainn," I say cautiously. "Caoi, I think I'm about-" But I'm cut off by my own body as a seizure overtakes me.

Caoilainn runs to my side and I feel her ease me onto our living room floor so that I don't hit my head during this spell. I don't know what happens next, but Caoilainn tells me later how fast the seizure hit and that she was glad she was there to get me into a safe position so that I didn't hurt myself. Aside from biting my tongue, and the inside of my right cheek, I don't do any other damage.

Later that night, when we're in the kitchen, Caoilainn hands me a glass of water. I sit down at our table to rest and she stands against the cabinets. "I don't understand," she starts to say to herself. "Your seizure medicine has been working so well these last few weeks. Why're you still getting headaches, and now seizures again?"

"I don't know," I reply, leaning forward to rest my head on my hands across the tabletop.

"Maybe the ambulance lights triggered tonight's seizure."

"Maybe," Caoilainn replies distracted and unconvinced. "That doesn't explain the other times, though."

Suddenly, Caoilainn walks over to the medicine cabinet and opens up the door. Reaching inside, she removes my pill box. When she lifts her head up from the box, she stares at me.

"Tadhg," she says to me. "All of the pills from earlier this week are still here. You've only taking Thursday, Friday and Saturday's pills. "Why didn't you take your pills earlier this week?"

Standing up to see what she means, I trudge over to her. "What? I took my pills. I-"

"No," she says shaking her head. "No, you didn't Tadhg. All the pills from---darn."

"What?" I ask her, confused.

"All the days you didn't take your medicine are stored in boxes to the left of your vision field. All the ones you did take are on your right.

Shoot," she replies sighing. "I should've known better."

Shaking her head, Caoilainn drops into the kitchen chair across from where I was sitting.

"You mean I missed most of this week's seizure medication?" I ask, trying to understand.

"Yeah," she answers regretfully. "You did. And I never even noticed."

"Oh," I say to her. "Shit." I rub 5 o'clock shadow and sigh in defeat.

"I mean, Oops."

Caoilainn looks up at me and frowns. "Yeah, oops."

_________________

If you're not already a follower of my page, please sign up. This way, you'll be send a message whenever chapters are added to this book.

Thank you for your support.