Chapter 3

FAST FORWARD TO THE JUNIOR COLLEGE YEARS...

Caoilainn

When the Warriors get into formation, I feel my pulse increase. Everyone around me is full of energy today. They love this game. Fans are showing support for their players by wearing their school colors, myself included. Some girls have even painted temporary tattoos of the team mascot on their cheeks.

Most girls in my school love the athletes. They're huge with large chest muscles, lean legs and well-cut abs. I'm used to girls fawning all over the players, even Tadhg, much to my own chagrin. Ever since he read my intention at the Yule log back in high school he's turned into a ladies' man.

Lately, though, I'm getting more and more uncomfortable at the attention the fans pay Tadhg. When we were kids it was less painful. I'd go to the games and laugh and eat snacks and have a good time or at least try to. Tadhg would always hang out with me and the guys between the halves. With us getting older, though, more and more of his time is divided and I'm not included in it. His female fans like to grab his arm on the break and drag him away for a soda. Other times he runs over strategy with another player for the upcoming half and I'm left out.

I understand, of course. It's just that lately, I've been feeling like I'm waiting for something that is never going to happen. It was bad enough in high school but now that we're in junior college it's getting impossible.

"What's happening, Caoi?" Siofra asks, breaking my train of thought with her laughter as she comes up beside me from the rear.

"Did we miss anything good?" Jenny follows up on my left smiling. "This one's for you; cherry cola. They were all out of Cracker Jacks so we got you a soft pretzel instead. Here," Jenny says handing them to me. I thank her nodding my head in response to her question while taking a sip of my drink.

"How's Fionn doing?" Siofra asks.

"A little bit," I reply to Jenny between mouthfuls. Then turning to Siofra to include her in my response, I say, "Fionn's doing really well. He even scored a few minutes ago."

As the boys on the field have at it we stand on the sidelines and watch. When Fionn has the ball his sister yells his name beside me cupping her hands around her mouth to make her voice travel further. After he passes the ball to a teammate he takes a second to throw a smile Siofra's way, and I grin at their sibling affection for one another.

From down the field, we hear another female voice cheer our team on. I look around the grass and see Pearl yelling from the sidelines on their behalf. Our friend Courtney is with Pearl. Siofra notices and calls to them to join us.

As Courtney and Pearl approach, I offer a warm smile and hug. "Hey, guys."

"Tadhg's looking good out there tonight, Caoilainn," Pearl teases me when she hugs me close. Then she leans in to whisper, "Don't worry, though, even if he gives me hot flashes I know he's all yours. Mmm. Just look at that ass."

I make a hitch in my breath and clam up. But then I relax, realizing she's just teasing me and crack up.

"Hey, listen, no worries from me. My eyes are on Fionn," she comments as Siofra whips a glance her way.

"Oh, don't get upset, Siofra," she continues catching Siofra's unguarded glare. "Fionn doesn't know that I'm drooling over him here on the sidelines. Now, Brody, however," she teases, winking at me while throwing her hand towards him, "Well, just look at him."

We all turn to see where Brody's standing and watch as he shamelessly blows Pearl a kiss before taking a sip of his Gatorade.

"Man, that boy is the devil himself," Pearl says closing her eyes in mock bliss.