Chapter 11

Tadhg

"Do you wanna trade lunches with me, Caoi?" I ask her. By the time I make it through the line they are out of any decent lunchmeat. I threw together this sandwich but I'm not any more interested in it now than I was when I was making it. That said, Caoilainn loves this stuff which is why, maybe on some level, I made it in the first place.

"What do you have?" she asks me looking up from her own lunch tray. I can see a pack of sunflower seeds on it along with chicken strips and honey mustard dip.

"Fluffernutter sandwich. You want it?" I ask offering it to her.

"Mmm of course," she replies eagerly. "You know I love that. Here," she says handing me her chicken strips and the mustard. "trade me. I didn't even see this stuff when I was up in line." She then proceeds to eat the sandwich, closing her eyes likes she's just feasted on something decadent, and not a simple peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich. She moans with pleasure and then licks her bottom lip seductively.

I pause mid-dip with a strip and all thought leaves my head. Elvis, or in my case, Tadhg has left the building, folks*.

Kind of wishing I was that sandwich right about now.

Right. Ok, back to sanity.

I turn to my right as the weight on our lunch bench shifts. "What's up, Tadhg? How are you, Caoilainn?" It's Archer, and right behind him are Pete and Courtney. "Hey, girl," she calls out to Caoilainn.

"Hi, Courtney," Caoilainn responds. "What's going on, Archer? Pete?"

"You have practice later today, Tadhg?" Archer asks me.

"Yeah, why?" I reply. "What's up?"

"Nothing, just trying to see who'll be around after school and over the weekend. I was thinking about joining Pete and Courtney. They're going to the boardwalk this weekend and I was going to tag along. Always nice to have some other people with us, though, you know? No third wheel situation goin' on then, know what I mean?"

I look at Courtney who's giving Pete the evil eye. Hmm...trouble in paradise?

"But Courtney doesn't mind, right Court? You're cool with Archer or anyone else joining us, aren't you?" Pete asks her.

There's a slight hesitation in Courtney's response and she looks up at Caoilainn quickly before answering Pete with a fake, weak smile. "What do you think?"

"Ok, cool. I knew you'd agree," Pete says, turning back to all of us. "See? It's all good. Do you guys wanna join us?"

Caoilainn's the first to speak up. "Sorry, guys. I'm out. I have to teach this weekend."

I dip my nugget in the mustard and then bring it to my lips and lick the excess from the sides. I catch Caoilainn's eye in the process. She looks like she's in a trance. She's just staring at me. I wipe my chin. Did I drip some mustard on it?

"Caoi, is something wrong? Did I miss my mouth with the mustard or something?" I ask her.

Caoilainn shakes her head 'no' too quickly. "No, ah, no, no, it's nothing. I-nevermind."

Caoilainn turns back to face Courtney and they exchange another look. This time Courtney is trying to hide a smile under her chin. When I look back at Caoilainn she's widening her eyes and looking away. I can see a red blush on her cheeks. O...k-a-y...

"What about you, Tadhg?" I hear Pete say. Turning to him, I shake my head. "No can do, Pete. I'm tending bar at the club this weekend. It's too late to find a replacement and I know Ruari has something personal going on so he can't cover for me."