Chapter 35

ON TOUR OVERSEAS

Tadhg

Walker grunts next to me as we pace through another round of push-ups. The intensity of the heat in this desert is sickening. I'll be peeling my utility uniform off of my skin later today. Sweat courses down my back making a beeline for my skivvies.

Cripes.

"You ever think about getting married, Tadhg?" Walker asks out of no-where. I almost lose my count, caught off guard by the randomness of the question. It's like he's a mind-reader.

If anyone can understand, it's Walker. I know he's been worried sick over Jenny. Not hearing from her all this time is starting to eat at him. I watch his arms lift his weight and wonder how they can carry all that's on his mind. I wish we'd hear from someone back home about her condition. I increase my own rate of ascent to match Walker's furious pace.

"Did I ever tell you the story of my first wedding, Walker?" I ask him.

I grin when I see him miss a beat. Ha! Got him good with that one. Walker gets back up and starts again. It's a few minutes before he speaks and now I'm curious at his silence.

"You hear what I-"

"Yeah, Tadhg," he answers curtly. "I heard you. Just trying to find my voice to respond."

Walker continues his count up to 100 before he stops and switches onto his back. He begins counting out sit-ups next and my patience starts to wane.

"Well," I say. "Don't you want to know?"

"Ok," he replies. "Tell me."

I frown at Walker, turning onto my back to start on some sit-ups of my own. This isn't going as well as I thought it would've. I only brought it up to make him laugh but right now I can actually see the fury of anger coming off of Walker in waves.

What's ailing him all of a sudden?

"Yo, Walker," I call, stopping my reps for a second. "What's your problem, man?"

"My problem?" he spits out. "Did you just ask me what my problem is, Tadhg?"

"Yeah, what's the deal? You look ready to pound the shit out of me."

I can hear Walker continue to count as he runs himself hard through 10 more sit-ups before speaking to me again.

"Does Caoilainn know about your marriage, Tadhg? Because I gotta say, I sure as hell didn't and I never expected you to be the kind of guy who'd run around on someone, especially her and-"

When I crack up, Walker makes a face like he's chewing on bullets and is about to spit shells.

"Oh, you think this is funny, Tadhg?" he hollers. "Why the-"

The madder Walker gets the harder I laugh. Knowing him, though, I'll end up with a broken nose if I keep at this any longer. I take pity and cut him off.

"Walker, Walker, stop, buddy," I tell him, trying to catch my breath. "Geez, I forget sometimes how serious you are."

"Serious? What the fuck, Tadhg? Married?" he says, throwing his hands up.

"Calm down, dude," I comment. "Let me explain. Don't go getting your panties in a bunch.

Cripes. Hold on.

Hand me that towel. I'm sweating like a pig in this sandbox."

Walker whips the towel at me and takes a swig from his canteen. I put down my towel and grab my own canteen. The water's warm as piss, but it's hydrating so I drink it, wiping it from my chin when it spills over the mouth of the spout.