Chapter Five

Chapter Five:
Fears, Tears, and Ice Cream
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

      Maya laughed loudly as she watched Richie steal an instrument from one of the marching band members. Eddie watched in awe, he tried to snap himself out of it. He couldn't, he was put in a trance by the girl. He couldn't seem to get enough of her. Especially that laugh. That was his favorite part about her.

      He loved the way her eyes sparkling blue eyes lit up when she talked about something she loved, the way she would throw her messy curls into a ponytail when it got hot. He loved the way she would throw her head back and laugh when Richie said something stupid or perverted. Her nose would scrunch up and her eyes would close and she grabbed whoever was next to her for support.

      Right. He thought bitterly. Richie. They were probably together, Eddie would be surprised if they weren't dating. They were always together, and he was always at her house. He always walked home with her. Eddie couldn't hide it from himself. He was jealous. He was jealous because he wanted someone to love him like Maya loved Richie. Eddie huffed and walked off to get some ice cream.

      "They say they found part of his hand all chewed up by the stand pipe." Stan said sadly. Maya frowned as she looked at the picture.

      Edward Corcoran. He sat in front of Maya in science class. He's a nice boy.. he was a nice boy. "He sat next to me in Math and Science."

      "He asked to borrow a pencil once." Ben chimed in. Maya sighed, but glanced towards the girl next to her, Beverly had a certain look in her eye that Maya couldn't quite place. But she knew she liked it.

      Determination maybe? No, that didn't feel quite right.

      "It's like she's been f-for-forgotten because off Corcoran's missing." Bill lifted the picture up to show Betty's missing poster. Maya could still hear Richie trying to play the instrument he stole from the band player in the background.

      "The town forgot about all of them.. it's sad, really. It's really sad.."

      "What the fuck, dude?" She heard Richie huff in annoyance from behind her. She turned to see that the man had taken his instrument back. She laughed lightly before facing her other friends again. Her laugh never truly met her eyes, though. Her fear of the situation was far too great for that.

      "What're you guys talkin' about?" Eddie asked, handing the ice cream to Richie. Richie slung his free arm lazily around Maya's shoulders. His other hand held an ice cream cone that Eddie had given him. 

      "What they always talk about." Richie replied taking another lick of his cone. Maya giggled as she grabbed his hand and licked the other side and winked at him teasingly. Eddie was about to rant on the dangers of sharing food our of jealousy when Stan cut him off.

      "Is it ever gonna end?" Stan asked, worriedly. Maya felt bad for him. He seemed to be the most scared out of them all. She put a hand on his shoulder and smiled sympathetically at him. Stan looked towards her and smiled in a thankful manner. "We'll be okay, Stan. It'll end."

      "I actually think it will end." Ben started off, glancing around at the group. "For a little while, at least."