Chapter 36 - Date Fright

******************************************************************************

Chapter 36 - Date Fright

Everything you ever believe or think about comes out in some form or another. It can never be buried deep in for too long. Like the pasta I was just cooking for dinner, if I put a hint of lemon in it the sourness would be reflected in the taste somewhere.

I believe whatever people say is somewhere on some level a reflection of what they actually think. Standing here cooking in my own kitchen, I still wasn't able to grasp a full idea what had happened earlier in the day. How accusatory Brittany had actually sounded.

I very clearly recalled the hatred filled eyes before they dissolved into laughter. "Silly girl! I was kidding!" she looked into my eyes as though telling me how unbelievably stupid I was, but there was this feeling that was imposed to me by her statement. And I couldn't shake it off.

My hands shuddered as I was stirring the spatula thinking about the venom with which she had said 'another man'. What did she mean by another man? Who else was she talking about? I was so freaked out after that I couldn't ask her to elaborate on her statement.

I was glad when she said she wouldn't be back for dinner as she had some work. I hadn't even bothered asking her where she was going or when she would be back. Thinking about it right now made me feel like a bad friend. This was a new place for her, and I shouldn't have left her that way.

It was then when I realized something was smelling bad. Snapping out of my ever present though world I looked down to find the carbon residue of what once used to be pasta. My eyes widened as I looked down shocked. How could I so completely burn the entire dinner while I was standing just above it stirring?

Damn! This thing with Brittany was seriously bothering me.

Turning off the hot plate, I closed my eyes pissed off at myself for wasting food. I had serious problems with those who wasted food and here I was thinking so deep that I hadn't realized that I wasted a chunk of food.

And just then a pair of strong hand clamped at my waist and the other closed my mouth down. Fear gripped me and the worst possibilities came across of mind. Chris?! Tears threatened to come in my eyes as I had no one this time to help me. Here he was to take the revenge of the stinging slap I showered him with earlier.

"Good evening Mrs. Hamilton" the heaven spoke again. My entire body slumped as it relaxed. Of course this was my Nathan. I could have probably smelled the amazing spicy manly smell had the food not made the whole house smell like brunt coal.

He took me in a hug from behind and he placed his chin on my shoulder. I was so glad he was finally here.

Then he chuckled into my ears and I realized that he had finally noticed how disastrous the meal turned out to be. God! What must he think of me now! "Let me guess, one of your zone out periods?" he asked me teasingly.

I stepped out of his hug and turned around to look up at him, "Are you still glad you married me?" I tried sounding funny. But all in all I was pretty upset about the food and about Brittany.

He laughed a hearty laughter, a sound that always brought a proud smile on my face and said, "Are you kidding me? If food was the reason why people marry you would be on the Most wanted list!" he laughed again. I had noticed how much he had opened up lately. It was so hard to get into Nathan, and I was finally getting him. "But I am glad you spoiled the food today"

I looked at him quizzically. What?

"Because I have plans for us!" he said in a commanding voice. He made me want to laugh, he was commanding even when he had no intention of being that. Then he began shaking his head as if he wanted me to scratch that and took a bouquet that was placed on the platform next to the fridge, and gave it to me.