CHAPTER 16 : KARAN

"Aarunya, what's going on with Reyaansh ?" I asked her as soon as she answered the call.

"What ?" She asked taken aback.

"What's going on with Reyaansh ? He seems very upset from a few days"

"Oh.. you noticed."

"Of course I did. What happened ?" I asked her again.

"It's his mom's birthday tomorrow. " She told me. "Varun's upset as well."

I do remember Aarunya mentioning to me once that their parents met with an accident in which they passed away but I didn't know they weren't over it.

"It's this one week of the year and another week around their parent's death."  She told me.

I could relate to what they were feeling. The only difference was I would be a little low around my birthday.

"Ri, are you there ?"

"Yeah. I'll talk to you later." I said hanging up on her.

I got up from my seat and walked to my boss's cabin.

"Yes, Riaana ?"

"Mr. Jason, I need two weeks off." I placed my request infront of him.

"Two weeks ? Why ?"

"I need to go to India."

"Riaana, let me be honest. I cannot be lenient with you just because you're a princess." He warned taking of his spectacles.

"But even though I take an off, I work from my home. I worked on all my projects and submitted them way before time. You can't complain." I pointed out.

He sighed and closed his laptop screen before looking at me again.

"Fine. Just two weeks. Not a day more."

"Thank you, Mr. Jason." I said and rushed out his cabin.

I went my desk and picked all my things and headed out of the office.

"Aaryan, I need tickets to India ASAP." I said as he led my to the car.

We'll, yes. I too have a security team now. I was going to get a PA as well but I politely refused. I didn't need one now.

I haven't attended any royal engagements too because I thought I wasn't ready for it yet. I just accompany mom and dad for state dinners, that's it and the media goes frenzy for that.

"Ma'am, right now ?"

"Yes. And no one back in India should know."

"We won't be able have to charter flight here."

"I don't need one. Just book my economy in some flight. I don't need business class either."

"But according to the security protocols, you have to travel in business class if you're opting for public flights." He told me making me roll my eyes at him.

I, for some reason am not allowed to do the booking myself. I cannot carry my credit cards and stuff and cannot make any payments myself until unless I'm on myself on a personal outing. I hate that so much.

"Aaryan, just book me economy class." I said sternly.

"Okay ma'am." He said.

"And I won't let you get screwed. I'll tell dad that I insisted and you could do nothing." I assured him.

Dad was very particular about my security. He had given stern instructions to Aaryan and there's nothing I can do about it.

...

It was about ten when I reached and I asked Aaryan to drop me off at Reyaansh's place.

I knocked at the door waiting for someone to open it. I knew someone in there was awake because the lights were turned on.

Well, it was either Varun or Reyaansh who was awake because it was Reyaansh's cottage and since Varun only stays at India for a while just like I do, he shares Reyaansh's cottage. 

I tapped my feet restlessly as I waited for someone to open the door. I could hear footsteps and I knew someone was coming. Finally.

"Riaana ?" Varun opened the door.

"Yeah." I said not knowing what to say. "I came over to meet Reyaansh."

"From London ? You came over from London to meet Reyaansh ?" Aarunya asked coming out of nowhere.

"Yeah but what are you doing here ?"

"I came to see Varun."

"Where's Reyaansh ?" I asked them as they moved away from the door letting me in.

"He's in his room." Varun said pointing at the staircase.

...

I tiptoed into his room not wanting to wake him up. I walked to his side and sat down on the edge of the bed, looking at him.

As I pushed his hair back from his forehead, a tear rolled down his cheek.

"Rey."

He was awake. He was pretending to be asleep. I was a call away. He wanted to be there for me but doesn't want me to be there. He didn't want to be vulnerable.

I slipped into the blanket beside him as I put my arms around his shoulders.

"Rey, look at me." I said trying to get him to look at me as I placed my palm in his cheek.

"Rey." I called out again. "Karan, look at me."

Karan is his second name. I really like it for some reason and I call him Karan when I feel like calling him so. It's weird but no one else gets it. It's kind of our thing.

His eyes shot up and met mine. He just looked at me.

"Mamma used to call me Karan." He said before breaking down and crying.

He never told me that his mom used to call him Karan. Infact, we've never had conversations about his mom. He did tell me that he likes it when I call him Karan.

This boy, there's so much inside. I pulled him into a hug as I rubbed his back.

He cried like a baby, holding me in a tight hug. I wanted to do something about it but there was nothing I could do. All I could do is help him let it out.

He cried until he fell asleep. My heart broke seeing him in such a state. I wanted my smiling and charming prince back.

I pulled him away from myself and rested his head on a pillow. I pushed his strands of his hair behind and placed a kiss on his forehead.

Reyaansh was always there for me when I needed him. It's my turn to be there for him and I will.