Chapter 18

"And what if you told me what happened from the beginning? I don't understand anything of what you're telling me. And sit down, damn it, you make me dizzy!" 

Ragnor was at Magnus's. Magnus had called him and asked him to come at his place, which Ragnor agreed. 

Magnus ends up sitting down. He sighed. 

"I don't understand how I could be that stupid." 

"Tell me from the beginning," Ragnor said softly. 

"He cheated on me, that's all. With an asshole." 

"What do you mean by that?" 

Magnus was wringing his hands in all directions, that means a sign of frustration and nervousness. 

"You know I told you about the party he organized yesterday? I went there, as planned. He introduced me to one of his "friends". Jason, I think. Anyway, I don't care what his name is. Later in the evening, he told me he had to get some fresh air. And when I saw that after a while he wasn't coming back, I looked for him. I went up the stairs and ... I saw them. They were kissing." 

After a silence, he added: "I trusted him, Ragnor."

Ragnor was listening to Magnus attentively. 

"Well, he's not that perfect, huh?" 

"Stop, this is not the time to joke. Anyway, I don't care now. It's over." 

Magnus picked up his phone and noticed another dozen missed calls from Alec. He sighed, and put his phone in his pocket. 

"He keeps calling me since last night," he said. 

In spite of everything, one felt a touch of sadness in his voice. 

"Magnus, are you sure that's what you want? Do you really want everything to be over everything? You were happy with him." 

"Yes, well that's not my fault. To answer your question, no I didn't want to stop my relationship with him, but he didn't give me the choice. I can't stay with someone who had cheated on me and who had lied to me." 

"Are you sure that he really cheated on you? Besides, what happened to him after you surprised them?" 

"Well, when I arrived, they were glued to each other, so I don't know about you but I had only one conclusion that imposed to me ... And about Jason, I hit him." 

Ragnor whistled admiringly. 

"Seriously?" 

"Yes. I couldn't stay without doing anything."

 "And after?" 

"After, I left."

"It seems to me that I will never meet him then." 

"I'm afraid you won't."

 A that moment, the doorbell rang. Magnus got up. Who could it be? He was not expecting anyone, though. He gave Ragnor a startled look, then headed for the front door, which he opened. Isabelle appeared in the coaching. He wanted to close the door but Isabelle blocked her with a steady hand.

"Magnus, you have to let me in. I need to talk to you." 

"I know what you're going to talk to me about and I don't want to."

Ragnor appeared behind Magnus. 

"Hi, Isabelle!" 

"Hi Ragnor. Sorry, but don't you mind if Magnus and I talk in private? It's really important." 

She was saying that, totally ignoring Magnus' glare. 

"No problem," said Ragnor. He then addressed to Magnus: "I'll call you later."

Magnus, defeated, nodded and finally let Isabelle in. She went to sit on the couch and started talking. 

"Magnus, all this is a huge misunderstanding. You must believe me. Alec is ..." 

"Don't pronounce his name. I don't want to see him again. He betrayed me. It's over, there is nothing to say." 

He turned away from her but Isabelle got up and grabbed him by the arm to hold him back. 

"Magnus, just at the sound of your voice I know that you're broken. You are my friend, I know you. And Alec is my brother and he is broken too. You are both not okay. It can't continue like this." 

Magnus got angry. 

"And what do you want me to do? That I accept being cheated on? To be manipulated? Sorry but that's a no from me!" 

But Isabelle didn't give up so easily. 

 "Magnus, whether you believe him or not, Alec didn't cheat on you. But it's not up to me to explain the whole story. It's up to Alec to tell you everything, and you'll see that it's a lot more complicated than you think." 

Magnus looked at Isabelle in the eyes. He wanted to believe her and he felt that she was sincere. Deep down, he didn't want to stop everything with Alec but the anger and disappointment were still there. 

"Please," begged Isabelle. You can't leave him. Let him at least explain everything to you. After that, it will be your decision to stay with him or not but you must know the whole story."

Magnus finally nodded. 

"Okay."

 Isabelle breathed a sigh of relief. She thought it was already a first victory. Now everything was up on Alec. Isabelle had persuaded Magnus to talk to him, but it was up to Alec to convince Magnus that their relationship was worth it. And to tell him everything, once and for all.