Chapter 7

Magnus was pacing up and down in his apartment. He had never been so stressed for a date before. He had always mastered the situation in his previous relationships ... But this time, that was not the way it usually was. With Alec, that ... different. He didn't exactly how to describe how he felt, which was weird because he had always known, before. Alec made him feel new things, new sensations. And Magnus liked that.

The bell of the front door startled him, tearing him from his thoughts. He pulled on the white shirt to put it back in place, then he headed for the door and opened it. Alec stood in the frame, a hesitant smile on his face. Magnus smiled at him.

"Hi," Magnus said, without to stop smiling. "Come in."

Alec came into the apartment, uncomfortable. He didn't know how to react, since he had never had a date. He inspected Magnus's apartment with curiosity: at this very moment he was in the living room, composed of two large sofas and a table. The living room had a style both modern and vintage. Large brick walls with paintings and sculptures in every corner. There was a mini cocktail bar too. Classic but trendy. Alec loved Magnus' tastes a lot.

"Do you want to drink something?" Magnus asked, interrupting Alec in his inspection of the living room.

"Yes, thank you" Alec said.

Alec went to sit on one of the sofas and Magnus went to prepare two cocktails. Alec didn't know where to look or what to do. He was wringing his hands apprehensively. Magnus came back with both cocktails and settled right next to him on the sofa.

"Take that, it'll avoid you wringing your hands," laughed Magnus, handing him his drink.

Alec laughed with him.

"To be honest, I'm not used to all this," Alec said, avoiding Magnus' look. "Sorry, I look stupid."

"Not at all, why are you saying that?" It's not because you've never been on a date that you're stupid. It just means that you didn't find the right person yet. You know, it takes times before it happens."

Alec stared at Magnus. No irony, no trace of mockery on his face. No, he was really sincere with him, and it felt so good. He could relax with Magnus and forget the daily stress.

"Well ... Have you been living in Brooklyn for a long time?" asked Alec.

"No, only since this year. My parents don't live there. They live on the other side of the United States. I used to live there with them but I wanted to study in Brooklyn. So, I did a lot of jobs so I could make myself some money, and also with my parents' help, I bought an apartment here. And I really like living here.

"And isn't it too hard to live alone?"

"Oh, you know, I'm used to it. And when I'm not at university, I'm working or I go out. I've always something to do."

Alec thought that it was not the same for him at all. With his sister Isabelle, his little brother Max, his parents and his best friend Jace who lived practically at home, he did not know what it was like to be alone.

"And you?" Magnus said. "I know Isabelle but you've got other siblings, right?

"Yes, I've got a little brother whose name is Max and he's 10 years old. There is also Jace, my best friend. I consider him like my brother. We've known each other since school."

"And you live with your parents?"

"Yeah. We live all together. And how did you meet my sister yet?

"Izzy? You know, in our university, we all know each other. First year, second year, third year... And I don't know if she told you but she dated one of my friends for a few months, so it's like that that we became friends. She's amazing."