Session Thirty: The Music Box

Michael returned to Evelyn's trailer in a rather upbeat mood. He found himself exhausted, however and Evelyn practically had to drag him out of the Nightshade.

"I'm gonna be honest, I was kinda impressed. It usually takes way more than that to take one of those things out, even if it's unarmed," she said as she burned through yet another cigarette.

"Thanks..." Michael mumbled as he slid off his helmet.

"No problem. I'm just worried about increasing your combat effectiveness outside of the vehicle."

"Eve... I mean Evelyn... I was wondering... how come I can even do this? Like I did driving techniques that I had never even thought about before, and like how do I know all the basic moves you've been training me to do?"

"It's because of your genes, I guess..."

"Uh, but genes don't contain memory, right? I'm pretty sure science has proven that. "

Evelyn's demeanor suddenly flipped, as if she had snapped.

"ARGHHHH I CANT FUCKING TAKE IT ANYMORE! TOO MANY GODDAMN QUESTIONS!"

Michael was taken aback.

"Fine, the truth then! You are an experiment Michael! You and Michelle, you always have been, ever since before you were born! I'm supposed to train you throughout your life to engrain combat abilities into your subconscious at different ages and then erase your memories so you don't know about it."

"What?!" Michael said, with a look of confusion.

"I HAD TO STAND AND WATCH YOUR MOTHER DIE, IM THE REASON YOUR FATHER HAD TO GO TO THAT AWFUL MINE ON MARS FOR A YEAR! IM A HORRIBLE FUCKING PERSON..."

Michael began to step back from Evelyn. He noticed she was crying.

"Are you alright?"

Evelyn leaned against one of the fenders of the Nightshade.

"No... he needs to know the truth, I'm done lying to him..." She said, sobbing.

"Who are you talking to?" Michael said, fear growing inside him.

Evelyn suddenly stood straight up, and spoke with a sudden, deadly calm.

"I'm sorry for what I'm about to do to you, but hopefully, it won't last long."

She walked deeper into the trailer, and picked up a small wooden box and opened it.

Michael realized it was a music box. Something deep inside him shuddered. He realized he was afraid of it.

Evelyn wound up the music box. An eerie, soft tune played from it.

Michael found himself paralyzed with fear and dread. Try as he might he couldn't bring himself to move.

When the song ended,he felt his mind suddenly fill with agony.

Suddenly, images, memories flooded his consciousness. He could remember his mother in great detail, he remembered his favorite book, he remembered going to a stock car race...

He remembered why he couldn't trust Evelyn.

Michael stepped forward, walking into the trailer in a daze.

"Look at me Michael. Look me in the eye..."
Evelyn said, tossing aside her glasses.

She clapped her hands twice.