Session Five: Launch

The man who had told them where to park had just grabbed them both by the arm. "I'm Jeff, I run things around here."

He pushed through the crowd, dragging Michael and Michelle with him. Michael could now get a better look at Jeff. He's tall, and has long dark hair.

"Ok do you have any money to bet with? It's 1000 credits to enter?."

Shit, Michael thinks. He didn't think of that.

"No, but we have our rides." Michelle says bluntly. Michael immediately pulled her aside.

"Sis what the hell are you thinking?!"

"I'm getting us in the race!"

"If we loose-"

"We won't. You saw the Spec Miatas. Their lines were off. On corner exit NONE of them had proper throttle control. They were sliding all over the place! This'll be a piece of cake!"

"Yeah but these guys may not suck! They'll know these streets. We have no idea what they'll be driving! We could be up against those GT-R's for fucks sake!"

"GT-R's are in S-class"

"Look-"

"It doesn't matter what you say, nothing is going to change the fact that I am going to enter this race. WITH OUR WITHOUT YOU!!!"

"Fine. Two drivers are better than one. But if we loose..."

"We won't. "

Michael hated the fact his sister could decide to be so stubborn at the worst possible times. They turned back to Jeff.

"K-so are you two a team?"

"Yes. " Michael said quickly.

"Right... follow me."

They followed Jeff to a large satin black Terradyne Gurkha (if you know what this vehicle is and what movie it's from, you get a cookie) armored security van with the gold Racing Authority logo emblazoned on its side. Jeff opens the rear doors of the van, revealing several computer monitors, showing several views of the city streets, and a map of Kempton. Jeff climbs into the van, going to a rack of shiny black race helmets that they had seen the spec Miata drivers wearing, and comes back handing them two identical helmets.
"Ok, these are your RA official Augmented Reality Smart Exo Helmets. A.R.S.E Helmets for short."
Michelle snickered.

"Yeah, yeah, I know it's stupid, but that's what marketing came up with. They work with your RA E.C.Us to help make sure you aren't cheating, and help you find your way around street racing circuits. You'll see... anyway I'll need your call sign, and your team name."
"Call sign?" Michael asks.

"You know, like your gamer tag, or internet ID so you can be ranked. I don't advise using your real name. Like Fight Club. Who you are here isn't the same as who you are in the real world."
Michael thought for a few seconds. He remembered a figure from a story he'd been told as a kid, but he couldn't remember the details.

"Call me... TheAsphaltKnight."

"Nice. And the young lady?"

"DriftPrincessRB26!" Michelle says excitedly. Michael rolled his eyes. Her Nintendo Switch gamer tag.

"Alright... team name."

"Uhhhhh... how about... Performance Dynamics Racing! P.D.R. for short! " Michelle blurts out.
"Sis what the hell! That sounds like an early 2010's Viagra commercial!" Michael says.
"It's not like you had any better ideas."

She was right. But Michael decided not to admit he was wrong, so he said nothing.

"Alrighty then... put these helmets on, get in your cars, and for the love of god, follow the fucking instructions."