Chapter Thirty Six - Waterworks

Hey all! It's a late chapter. :D I hope you like it. I SMELL DRAAAAAAAMA. =))))) Oh well. I personally had a hard time writing this out. Even now, I feel like it's... UGH. Oh well. Hope you like it. :D Aaaaaaand, I dedicate this chapter to the person who got the "secret admirer" right. :) 

-Kierra XX 

P.S. Dan-dan-dan-dan! :D You'll finally find out who it is! :D

Chapter Thirty Six - Waterworks

                “No.” I shook my head. “That can’t be right.”

                Dexter exchanged glances with Sherri, who didn’t seem to believe it either. “Well, girls, first I am very much offended that you have absolutely no faith in me.” He put a hand over his chest. “Very, very much offended.”

                Sherri, who was the Queen of Eye-rolling, didn’t even look amused. She didn’t roll her eyes like she normally would have. She stared at Dexter with an intense seriousness that was completely new. “Are you absolutely, absolutely, absolutely sure?”

                Dexter didn’t hesitate. He just nodded, not skipping a beat. “Positive.”

                Sherri turned to me. I was too stunned to say anything. When I willed myself to meet her eyes, she was looking at me expectantly. I realized she was waiting for my reaction, for what I think.

                “Dexter. How sure are you?” I asked him.

                “I traced it carefully, Shea. And your secret admirer wasn’t that careful either, so I immediately figured out the link between the hacker and the secret admirer. I’m a hundred percent sure.” Dexter, in all seriousness, never once looked away from my gaze.

                I shook my head, not wanting to believe this. This was impossible, completely and utterly impossible. Before I knew it, I rose from my chair, shaking my head. I had the back of my knuckle-white fist against my mouth, the aftershock finally catching up to me.

                “Shea,” Sherri said, almost too quietly.

                If she said anything—anything at all, I didn’t hear her. It was almost as if all my sense dulled and I couldn’t hear her. I just continued to take steps backward, distancing myself away from them. My nails bit against my palm so hard I could have sworn they were bleeding.

                Soon, I was sprinting as fast I could out of the cafeteria. Everything was ruined. Everything.

                But what really brought tears to my eyes was the fact that she had to go ruin other people—not just me—just to do this. That she was willing to hurt others just to hurt me. I felt betrayed.

                Soon, Jake will, too.

                I was outside, just by the fountain. I was panting and my legs were burning. With the back of my hand, I wiped the sweat across my forehead. My breathing was ragged and short—heavy.

                Of all people, she never crossed my mind. Not once at all.

                I never thought Breeze could do this to me—to Jake. It was unfair of her. Completely unfair of her to do that, affecting not only me, but Jake and Cam and Blake. Before I could stop it, tears were welling up in my eyes. I wasn’t on the verge of crying because I was sad. No. I was just angry. Furious. Mad that I was betrayed this way.