Chapter 9

Chapter 9

After Aiden went to sit down I stood there for a moment and then went to take my seat beside him.

That's where I've been for the past hour listening to Aiden beg.

"Let's go somewhere." 

"Nope."

"Why not?" He questions and leans in.

"It's against the rules."

"I break the rules." 

"Well I don't."

"Liar." I laugh at his accusing tone.

I think about what would happen if I did agree to go with him and I know that whatever it is we decide to do, it'll be more fun than sitting her with the occasional glare from the boy in the back and the sound of the teacher snoring echo the room.

Aiden is right to an extent about me not being a rule follower and honestly I'm going crazy sitting in this classroom. 

I huff out a breath and stand up, "Fine. Let's go," He smirks and stands up, making his way towards the door.

"I knew you'd change you're mind. I tend to be very persuasive." He says as we exit the room, causing me to scoff and roll my eyes but I continue going with him nonetheless.

We get to his car and I stand there awkwardly, not knowing what to do with my backpack.

"What are you doing? Get in the car." He says and twirls his keys.

I take that as an invitation to put my bag wherever so I open the back door and toss it in before getting in the passenger seat.

"If you're having regrets about skipping it's too late to change you're mind so suck it up." He says and then pulls out of the parking lot.

I turn the radio up slightly and tap my fingers on my leg to the rhythm, "No regrets. Where are we going?" 

"Someplace dark and deserted so I can kill you without any witnesses." He says with an evil smile and looks over at me to wink. 

His words register into my mind and I have a mental battle on whether to tuck and roll out of the car or take my chances on running fast when he stops the car.

I guess he can see panic evident in my face because he says, "For goodness sake we're going to the park."

I let out an audible breath, "I wasn't scared. I knew it was a joke that wasn't funny." I lie to sound less like a wimp. He knows that I'm lying but he lets me go and just mutters a 'whatever you say'.

"Oh I love this song!" I turn the radio up and start singing to change the topic away from my overreacting.

I don't want no scrub 

A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me

Hanging out the passenger side of his best friends ride, trying to holler at me

I do random hand motions while I sing and Aiden smiles and pulls into the parking lot.

I jump out of the car and run inside the play area away from Aiden, "You're it on tag!" I holler and he narrows his eyes with a smile before he takes off running.

 I turn around and sprint up the stairs of the playground. I look back and he's right behind me. 

Running has never been my strong suit. I'm a good sprinter but my long distance is crap. After running for any longer than thirty seconds I'm on the verge of passing out.

Within seconds he tags me, "I caught you, what's my prize?" He asks with a smirk and I roll my eyes, I've noticed I do that a lot in the presence of Aiden.

I lean on the railing while I pant, "The knowledge that you're faster than a teenage girl who sleeps for a hobby." 

He purses his lips as if he's thinking about something and then takes a step closer, "I don't get you sometimes."

I lean back against the bar to keep extra distance between us, "What don't you get?" 

I can't deny the fact that Aiden is incredibly gorgeous but I don't want to be one of those girls who jumps right into something with a guy she barely knows, I won't be. I don't want to jump into anything with anyone, especially Aiden and my conscious is kicking me for even being with him right now but regardless, here I am.

He smirks and takes my wrist, "Let's go swing."

I nod and we walk down the playground stairs to the swings. I get on one and Aiden gets on the other.

This is the only park in town and it's my favorite one around since it's so big. My parents used to take my siblings and I here all the time and we would play freeze tag or hide and seek. My dad would always run slow to ensure it wasn't to difficult for the twins so they could still have a good time.

I would run to the top with my mom and we would just sit in the slide and talk, nobody ever found us in there so we went there every time and would occasionally have to move if someone wanted to go down. I miss those moments that my parents and I shared and even the fights we had. 

I took them for granted, people say you don't know what you have until you lose it but I knew what I had, I just never thought I would lose it.

"What are you thinking about?" Aidens voice pulls me out of my thoughts before my tears get the chance to fall.

I hope he didn't see my eyes starting to water, I don't want to explain to him why I would be crying in such a simple situation like sitting on a swing at the park.

I turn my head in the opposite direction while I wait for my eyes to dry, "Nothing of your concern."

I turn to face him and give him a small, hopefully real looking smile, once I'm sure my eyes aren't red and watery. 

I wish I could think about my parents without crying, it sorta sucks when every memory of them makes me sad. Not because it's a bad memory but because I miss it so much, the way things used to be.

"Ouch." He says and walks over to my swing.

I realize that what I said sounded harsh, "I didn't mean for that to be mean. I just don't want to talk about it."

He wraps his hands around the chains and leans into the swing, "If you don't want to tell me then I won't push it but I mean this sincerely, if you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm a good listener." 

Is Aiden Cage being soft? I never thought I would witness something as absurd as Aiden showing he has any characteristics other than being a jerk and being cocky.

"Thank you." I say and mean it. Even though I'm not ready to tell Aiden about my damaged past, I appreciate knowing that he would be there for me if I were to want someone to talk to. 

He gives me a genuine smile and pushes himself off of the swing. "In case you forgot," he pauses and slowly walks backwards, "you're it on tag." 

He turns around and runs to the top of the playground and I smile at our childishness and chase after him.

A/N: Thanks so much for reading! If you enjoyed please vote!