Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"We got the hot dogs!" James yells walking out back with a grocery sack in each hand.

Emery and Molly walk out next with grocery sacks as well.

"How many hot dogs did you get?" I ask looking at all the bags.

"Forty because I figured some of us will drop some in the fire," He looks at Caleb and he shrugs, "And some will eat more than others. I also got like five packs of hot dog buns because the crazy thing is hot dogs come in packs of ten but buns in packs of eight."

I look over and Molly says, "Just be glad you didn't have to ride in the car with him for ten minutes after he figured that out."

We all laugh and James rolls his eyes, "I also got s'mores." 

I forgot all about s'mores! I love those things! 

"Ahhh! Yay! I forgot those exist! You're the best shopper ever!" I yell and jump up and down.

If you think I'm over exaggerating you've clearly never had one.

I'm about to start making my hot dog until I remember we don't have a table, I never got one out of the garage. 

"Caleb can you come help me with something?" 

"I got it." Aiden says and stands up.

I look at Caleb and he shrugs so I wait on Aiden to get to me before we start walking to the garage.

"What do you need help with?"

"There's a table in here that I can't carry by myself."

He nods and pulls up the garage door, "Is it this one?" He asks and I shake my head, leading him to the back.

"No we have a bigger one. I still have to give you back your jacket too." I stop and turn to face him, "I just want to say thank you."

He gives me a confused look, "For what?" 

"For everything. You help me in math and stood by my side when Chelsea went all inner bitch on me and then gave me your jacket afterwards so I wouldn't have to walk around with tomato stain on my shirt. You were one of the first friends I made at that dumb high school and I'm glad our teacher made you tutor me even if it does sound selfish." 

He takes a step closer, "I hope you know I only kept my mouth shut when Chelsea was going all psycho on you because I knew you could handle yourself. You've been through a lot, even if you don't tell me straight up I can tell. I also know there's more to that shirt with the tomato stain then you let on." 

He let me fight my own battle but stayed close in case things got out of hand. He knows I can handle myself and didn't need him by my side but it was comforting to have him there, knowing he was close made me feel better for some reason. And he's right, I have been through a lot but I didn't know he was that observant. He's always surprising me with the things he notices but I never thought he caught on to how much that ugly yet beautiful shirt meant to me.

I smile and look down at my shoes, he lifts my chin to see my eyes, "What's wrong?"

I shake my head slightly, "Nothing is wrong, I'm just happy you could be here tonight."

He lets go of my face and smiles, "I am too." 

I turn back around and grab one end of the table and he grabs the other. We start walking back to the fire but before he closes the garage he turns to face me, "Hey Audrey?" 

"Yea?" 

"It's not selfish for you to be glad I had to tutor you because I've found myself thinking the same thing." He turns around and shuts the door.