Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Are you hungry?" I ask Aiden once we get downstairs.

That banana just didn't cure my hunger.

We get into the kitchen and he sees Michelle sitting in the living room watching Frozen. She would watch Frozen for the rest of her life if we'd let her, but sadly she has to sleep, eat and go to school instead.

"I could eat." Aiden replies and I look at the digital clock on the stove. It's 5:32 so I decide to start supper so my grandparents don't have to worry about it. 

I'm making tuna salad so it'll only take a second and then Aiden and I can get back to studying, ugh. 

I grab the tuna out and set it on the counter, "Can you get out the mayonnaise, lemon juice and relish?" I ask Aiden and he walks to the refrigerator to retrieve my requests.

"What are we making?" He asks and sets the ingredients out on the counter.

"Tuna salad." I say with my voice strained due to trying to open the can of tuna and apparently my struggle is obvious because he walks over to help. 

"I think I broke the can opener, it seems to be jammed or something." I say and hand it to him, allowing him to give it a try.

He grins really big before saying, "Now it's a can't opener."

I roll my eyes but can't help smile at his terrible joke.

He manages to get the can open and shoots me a smile telling me that he was successful. I just smile back and empty the can into the bowl while he walks to sit on the couch with Michelle.

After a few minutes of my preparing food and Michelle and Aiden bonding over Frozen characters, Mason comes downstairs.

"When will supper be read Audrey? I'm hungry." He asks with a whiny tone and I set the bowl of salad into the refrigerator to get cold. I honestly forgot how it needs to be cool or it isn't as good.

I've never really had to do any kind of cooking until two months ago after the death of our parents. Our grandparents cook for us most of the time but they're old and we understand that sometimes they need a break from everything happening inside the house.

Having four kids move in with you is a big change so they occasionally go out and tell us 'we're having a date night' but we know they just need a break and we're okay with that. 

We respect them enough to behave for their sake but we do still have two six year olds running around the house and a teenage boy so it's normally pretty wild around here.

Right now they're at cousin Joe's house for their 'date night' and I can't help but wonder how romantic it must be considering last time we went to visit Joe he tried to take Alex and I into a bar.

Joe is a little crazy but he knows how to have a good time.

"Yeah Audrey, it's not fair for you to make me be hungry like this!" Aiden says in a whiner tone, turned around on the couch to face me.

"We can give it about twenty minutes to get a chill to it, then we can have supper." I say to Mason. I turn to Aiden and cross my arms, causing him to stand up and walk over to me.

"And as for you," I point to Aiden, "You can be a big boy and learn to be patient." 

He walks closer to where he's only a few inches away and he smirks, "Maybe one day I can show you just how big I am." He says and I feel my face heat up.

I know that he didn't mean 'big' personality wise so I just stand there with a shocked expression and he starts laughing before turning to walk towards the couch again.