1.6

Michael had to start work that next Monday, and he was not happy about it at all. He knew that he had to get a job, and he knew that he couldn't just sit around and be lazy for the rest of his life, but he just wasn't ready to give up doing nothing all day every day.

So after he dropped Parker off at school (and hung out with Melissa for a little bit and kissed her and did all that good boyfriend stuff) he headed off to the music shop downtown, absolutely dreading having to spend the rest of the day there. He took his own sweet time finding a place to park and walking into the store because he really just did not want to go. But he knew that he had to, so eventually he just sucked it up and walked in.

"Michael! What's up?" Matt yelled loudly as Michael walked through the front door of the store, as if he had been expecting him.

"Hi." Michael said shyly, giving Matt a small wave. He thought that Matt was really weird, and he also thought this job was really weird, because he was pretty sure that if Matt had actually given Michael a proper interview he wouldn't have gotten the job at all.

"Are you ready?" Matt asked. He grabbed the sleeve of Michael's shirt and dragged him over to the counter, where the cash register was.

"I guess." Michael shrugged.

"Good!" Matt smiled. He pulled out a stool and gestures for Michael to sit down, so he did. "You know how to work a cash register, right?"

"Yeah, of course." Michael lied. He had no idea, but he was sure that he could figure it out. It didn't look that hard.

"Good." Matt repeated. "So you can just sit here and ring people up if they want to buy something. If they need help with anything else just come get me, I'll be in the back."

"Okay."

"I don't think people will really start coming in for a couple hours, so feel free to just, like, mess around a little. But don't break anything." Matt instructed, and all Michael did was nod. This was so weird, definitely not like the job Michael'd had at the grocery store.

"Okay."

"If I need you to restock anything I'll come find you, but I don't think you'll need to do much for now." Matt continued. Michael just kept nodding, because he didn't know what else to say.

"Okay, good luck, bye." Matt said quickly before walking away and disappearing into the back of the store.

Michael awkwardly sat on the stool, not knowing what else he was supposed to do, praying that at least one person would come in just so he had something to occupy his time with. But Matt was right, no one was coming into the store, because who goes shopping for music at 9 o'clock in the morning? Finally Michael just gave up and texted Melissa, because he needed something to distract himself with.

Cliffoconda: mel mel mel

GirLFRIEND: what

Cliffoconda: I'm bored

GirLFRIEND: aren't you at work

Cliffoconda: still bored

Michael looked up from his phone for a second, just to check if anyone was in the store that he should be paying attention to. But no one was there, so Michael went back to texting Melissa.

GirLFRIEND: aw

GirLFRIEND: want me to come visit you??

Cliffoconda: NO

Cliffoconda: I mean

Cliffoconda: I just

Cliffoconda: you know