3.6

"That's honestly the stupidest thing I've ever heard!" Melissa yelled as they got in the elevator, and Michael tried to hurry her along before she made a scene.

They're just finished up with Melissa's doctor appointment and she was not very happy. The doctor said something about a "fake pregnancy" or a "phantom pregnancy", where most of the symptoms were there but Melissa was not pregnant. The whole thing kind of confused Michael, so he was just quietly following Melissa around and listening to her complain.

Michael was, in a way, relieved, because he knew that they weren't ready for a baby yet. They would try again eventually, but for now they should really focus on other things. (Like Michael getting a job). They were young, they had a lot of time to start a family together.

Melissa, on the other hand, was upset. She'd told Michael before the appointment that she would be okay either way, if she was or was not pregnant, but Michael could tell that Melissa still really wanted a baby.

"Come on, babe." Michael said quietly, pressing the button to close the elevator doors multiple times.

"I didn't even know fake pregnancies were a thing!" Melissa exclaimed, turning around to face Michael.

"That's not the technical term - " Michael tried to speak but Melissa just cut him off.

"I don't care!" Melissa yelled. Michael let her yell at him, he understood that she was upset.

"Baby, calm down, please." Michael begged, trying not to let her get too upset. He would be totally fine with talking about this with her, but at another time, like when they were back at Michael's apartment. Not now, when they were still at the doctors office.

Melissa let out a big sigh and took a few steps forward, hugging Michael and burying her face in his chest. "Can we go get chocolate chip pancakes now?"

"Yes." Michael nodded quickly. "Yes, of course we can go get chocolate chip pancakes now."

"Okay." Melissa sniffed and then pulled away from Michael, taking his hand in hers and intertwining their fingers.

"We're gonna be okay." Michael said and leaned down to kiss the top of Melissa's head, giving her hand a small squeeze.

"It's just stupid." Melissa mumbled. The elevator doors dinged and then opened, and Michael led Melissa out of the building through the lobby, where some other people were waiting.

"I know, it is stupid." Michael nodded, agreeing with his girlfriend. "I'm sorry, baby."

"It's not your fault." Melissa sighed, biting down on her bottom lip.

"And it's not your fault either, okay? Just remember that." Michael said, because he knew Melissa and he knew that she was just going to blame herself for this.

They walked over to Michael's car in the parking lot and got in. Michael turned on the car and the radio immediately started blasting some cheesy pop song that they'd had on while they were driving there. Melissa quickly turned it off.

"We should wait, right?" Melissa asked after a minute, turning in her seat to face Michael. "We shouldn't try for a baby right away."

"Uh, yeah." Michael shrugged. "We should at least a little while."

He just needed to get a job that he could hold for more than a few months and somehow buy a bigger place, then Michael knew that he'd be ready for another baby.

"This is so stupid." Melissa let out a sigh, slouching down in the passenger seat. "I'm still young, I don't need to spend all of my time worrying about having a baby right now. I don't know why I'm doing this."