3.4

"Aren't you hungry?" Michael asked, gently kicking Melissa's foot under the table. It was almost time for them to pick the kids up from school but they'd stopped to get a quick bite to eat, even though Melissa had hardly touched her food.

"No, not really." She shrugged, staring down at her plate.

"Well are you going to get a box and take that home?" Michael asked, pulling the plate closer to him. He picked up her sandwich and took a bite, not wanting the food to go to waste.

"I don't know, I probably won't eat it anyway." Melissa said, shrugging again. She looked up at Michael, who was enjoying the sandwich way more than Melissa had. "Do you want the rest?"

"No, I don't." Michael shook his head and quickly set the sandwich back down on the plate, already full from having eaten his own food.

"Okay, then, I'm done." Melissa nodded and stood up from her chair, grabbing her coat and putting it on.

"Are you feeling okay?" Michael asked. Melissa had been acting a lot better than she had earlier that month, but there was still something off about her. Michael understood, though, and he was going to give Melissa the time she needed in order to be okay again.

"I'm feeling fine, why wouldn't I be?" Melissa laughed nervously. Michael put his own jacket on and then grabbed Melissa's hand, leading her out of the restaurant.

"I was just wondering. This is the first time in almost a month that you've actually been out of the house for more than an hour." Michael stopped when they got outside of the restaurant, turning around to face Melissa. She looked up at him, a confused expression on her face, like she didn't know why Michael was so concerned.

"Yeah, I know." She nodded slowly. "It's weird, isn't it?"

"Just a little." Michael said softly. He leaned down and left a lingering kiss on Melissa's forehead, which had become one of the only places where she was 100% comfortable with him kissing her.

"We should probably get going." Melissa smiled and took Michael's hand in hers, pulling him behind her as she walked through the parking lot to Michael's car.

"So, uh, I was thinking..." Michael trailed off as they got into his car, buckling their seatbelts. "I think that maybe while Parker's at Beth's house this weekend we should do something."

"Oh? Like what?" Melissa questioned, reaching over and turning on the radio while Michael drove out of the parking lot and headed towards the school.

"Well, I don't know, I just thought that maybe you could see if you could get the weekend off or something." Michael shrugged nervously. "We don't really get to spend a lot of time alone."

"We're alone right now." Melissa argued, still messing around with the radio and switching between stations.

"We're going to pick up our kids right now, us being alone isn't going to last long." Michael scoffed. He just felt kind of bad, he'd always been a shitty boyfriend when it came to dates, and he wanted to do something special with Melissa. Just the two of them.

"Yes, so we should just make the most of this while it lasts." Melissa said sarcastically and then she actually laughed, which really surprised Michael. He didn't think he'd heard Melissa laugh in a long time.

"I want to take you out, though, and then after we can come back to my apartment and have sex all night." Michael joked, glad that Melissa was in a good mood now.

"Well, you've got his all planned out, don't you?" Melissa chuckled softly again.

"I do." Michael nodded.