Chapter 29 ~ I'm Here

As the directions on the paper lead us closer to the destination, I get more and more nervous.

"Aaron..?" I say nervously.

He responds by looking over at me.

"W-Who do you think... took them...? And who would want to..?"

A sad look plastered on his face as he looked away. "Aph..." I look up at him, "I don't really know... And I know no one else does, but right now our first priority is getting them all back to safety."

I nod in agreement, "You're right." We ride along the road for a few miles, then the GPS interrupts the silence telling us to turn left, and our destination will be on our right.

My heart starts to race faster and faster as we come up on the turn. I look over at Aaron and see the same look on his face as mine. We come up on a building that looked like it was once a grocery store, it had three letters left on the front; "W.L...T"

We drive around back, just so we don't attract any unwanted attention. We park the car and find a door that is already halfway open. I heard Aaron take a deep breath in and exhale.

"Aphmau..." He said, I turned and faced him.

"Yeah?" He came closer to me.

"I don't think you should go in there..."

"W-What?! Why?" I responded and he looked down, then back at the door.

"Doesn't it seem suspicious to you? The fact that whoever these people are, left directions to this place out in a wide-open area for all to see? And not only that," He gestured towards the door that was open, "this door is open, just begging us to go in it!" He pauses for a moment, allowing us to think, "I think this is a trap."

"What if it is?! Alina... Katelyn, Travis, their kids, my mom and Eric! They all might be in there! And I don't want to wait around any longer if they are." I start to walk toward the door, but Aaron grabs my arm.

"No..! I'm not letting you go in there!" I pull my arm away from his grasp.

"Then who will?! We can't just leave them— Alina..—sitting in there!"

"I will. I'll go in there and find everyone, I just don't want anything to happen to you..." He says.

"Aaron, they're my family too. I want to help you. You can't do this by yourself." Tears start to pile up in the corner of my eyes.

He looks down and sighs, "Fine, come on, let's not keep them waiting." I smile and follow him through the door.

It is only now I notice his ears and tail are out. As he walks, his ears flick, listening to any sounds that might echo through the building.

I follow, taking out my ears and listening in on anything that might be a threat.

We walk a few more steps and I hear something crash, and we stop.

"Aaron?" I whisper. He looks at me, then towards where the sound came from. He doesn't say anything, but just walks over towards the sound.

As we walk closer, we can hear faint voices coming from behind a wall.

Aarons' body tenses as we get to the wall the sound is emitting from. We look around for and door to get through, and walking down a bit, we see a door.

Aaron twists it a bit and finds that it is unlocked. I move next to him, preparing to go in but, he stops me.

"Aph. Wait." He says and pushes me back a bit.

"What? They might be in there! We need to help!" I try to push through him, but he held his ground.

"Wait. Remember what I said earlier? As much as I want to save them, right now, we also need to be careful."