Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Dad rarely talked to anyone, barely even the family when we were together. He worked and showed he loved us by keeping us fed and clothed as kids. The only times he showed anger was when Grandma Loupe pushed his buttons but even then he’s calm. My outburst and lack of temper side comes from my mother I’m sure.

And I’m a chicken, a well known fact. I stayed in the living room and overheard as my parents talked in the hallway. This time mom didn’t explain Elena in front of her. After a few hushed words they went to the bedroom to talk in private. I was curious but not enough to go eavesdrop.

I left the sofa and went back to the kitchen. “Would it be really bad if I just left?”

“Yes!” Erin gasped, she was so dramatic.

“It can’t be good but there’s no yelling so maybe it isn’t that bad.” I said, joining Erin and Elena at the kitchen table. “Where’s Theo?” I asked he was the only one missing with Joey still leaned against the wall near the back door.

“He went to see his parents.”

“Damn.” If I had known I would’ve went along for the walk. His parents were so damn nice.

“You’re such a wuss.”

I turned around and looked at Joey who said that. “Excuse me?”

“He’s right.” Elena chimed in.

“What is this gang up on Sam day? So, I tend to run when stuff gets tense at home, which is all the time. Doesn’t make me a wuss.” I crossed my arms, I did feel like a wuss but hey this was me, there’s no changing now. I did want to be there for mom but Dad was a scary guy. Silence added to that scary appearance, it was something Joey did well too.

“Yes it does.” Joey sat at the table now with the rest of us, groaning slightly from the pain in his arm.

Erin saw his arm in a sling. “What happened?” she asked.

“I was shot.”

Erin put on her thinking face. I worried that she would piece it together and she did. “You were the guy found in Sam’s bedroom right?”

“Bedroom?” Elena questioned, yeah she was fitting right into the family.

“Bedroom? Who’s doing the nasty?” Grandma Loupe was home.

I sighed and sank into my chair. “You are all impossible you know that?”

“And you’re a sour puss mija but we love you anyway.” Grandma said pinching my cheeks, I hated that and she knew it. “I smell gossip, what is it?”

I looked around. “Oh, now everyone is quiet? Mami is talking with Dad in the room, when she gets out she’ll talk to you. Also this is Joey and Elena, they’re staying for dinner.” I had to say something before she asked but I wasn’t telling her everything. I loved my mom but certain things were better if they came from her.

“I love when we have people over.” Grandma smiled. “Where are the men in your lives?”

I answered. “Zack is smart, he ran to work and Theo will be back. He married Erin he doesn’t have a choice and he has to be here.”

“No, Theo is smart marrying our beautiful Erin. What about you and Zack?”

Oh no, a heavy weight of dread settled on my chest. “What about us?”

“You need more between you than sex.”

Oh god it does get worse. “I’m not talking about this.”

“Why not?” I guess Grandma was feeling bored because she wasn’t letting up. “If you don’t want to talk marriage and the relationship then talk about the sex! He’s a cutie, really cute, is he good between the sheets?”

“Grandma!” I felt my face turn red and Erin was laughing. “Why don’t you ask her these questions?”

“Look at Erin, she’s having a baby, Theo must be good.” This was my nearly eighty five year old grandmother’s answer. You just can’t make this stuff up.

“That doesn’t mean anything.” I couldn’t just shut up.

“Yes it does.” Erin said. “He is good.”

“Eww. I don’t want to know that.” I saw Joey and Elena both grinning. “Can we stop talking about sex? Thank you.” I left the chair and turned off the stove and the air became serious again. I began to wonder what was going on with mom and dad. I hate when they fought.

Erin was looking at me, maybe reading my mind as she asked. “Should we go check on them?”

“No, let’s just leave them. Why don’t you try calling Alissa, I can’t believe she just left like that.” I suggested.

“Not everyone is going to be ok with this.” Elena said, she looked sad now and blamed herself for something none of us had control over.

“With what?” Grandma asked, she looked serious now too, realizing something was going on in the house.

“Let’s just tell her.” Erin said. “Mami has her plate full.”

I sighed because what she meant was why don’t I tell her. “Remember when mom fell the other day when she heard Art De Luca’s name?” I asked Grandma Loupe.

Si'.”

“She and Art use to be together and they had a baby. They thought the baby died as an accident because of his dangerous life style, like retaliation. She just learned the baby never died but she was taken instead.” I wasn’t sure it was possible to sum it up with so few sentences but I did the best I could quickly.

Que?” She looked confused. “But I never knew, I’m her mother I would’ve known.” Now she looked hurt mami carried such a loss alone all these years.

I winced and tried to make this better but deep down I knew it was impossible. “I don’t know anything about that, everyone just found out today.”

She looked at Elena now. “I knew you looked familiar, you have her eyes.” Elena looked down; it was true she had the Martiz women, all but me, dark brown eyes.  

“Are you ok?” I asked Grandma.

Si, there’s nothing else to be. Yo acepto ella.” Grandma still looked sad about the fact she never knew the truth but she also said she accepted Elena, that was more than anyone could ask for. She walked over to Elena and kissed her on the cheek. “Bienvenido a la familia.” She welcomed her to the family and left the kitchen.

Elena smiled, I saw tears in her eyes. I felt happy for her. “Where do you think she’s going?” I asked Erin.

“Where do you think?”

I heard a door slam upstairs; my bet was she went to mom’s room. “So,” I began as I looked at Elena. “Why don’t you tell us something about you?”

“What do you want to know?”

“Do you live here in Miami?” I was going to leave the harder questions for later with Joey.

“Fort Lauderdale, I grew up there.”

“Any brothers and sisters?”

“No, it was just me. My mother—my adopted mother died when I was barely a year old. My adopted father raised me alone, never remarried or anything like that. My Uncle Bernard and Aunt Theresa helped a lot and I spent weekends with them.” Elena explained.

I realized something changed in Joey, I noticed how his body tensed and I met his eyes. “What?”

He shook his head. “It’s nothing.”

I didn’t get mad he was shutting me out again, I understood he didn’t want to say anything in front of Elena. I think he started to figure something out and I was curious as hell to know what. It wasn’t just his problem anymore, it involved my family now and I was in for the full ride.