Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I didn’t know when I’d see Joey, I had a feeling this was one of those times he’d just show up when I least expected it. After a few hours in bed, sometimes just laying together and sometimes doing a lot more, Zack was called into work. After he left I headed to the shower. It was well into the night, I checked the bathroom clock and saw it was midnight. I wrapped a towel around myself after my shower and left the bathroom to get dressed.

“That’s a good look for you.”

I jumped back and wondered if I left my heart on the floor. “I knew you’d just show up and scare the hell out of me.” I placed my hand over my heart, still there racing fast. The room was dark so I reached for the light.

“Don’t.” Joey said, I couldn’t see him but he sounded to be near the window. Everyone always snuck in through the window. I ignored his plea and turned on the light.

“Joey!” I yelled when I saw the blood coming through his long sleeve shirt which was already full of blood. “You have to get a towel on this.” I said after farther investigation of the wound.

“You offering?” I followed his brownish green eyes down to my towel.

 “Men always thinking of sex, you know it’s a big turn off to girls.” I said as I pulled the towel I had hanging on the door. I wrapped it around his bleeding arm. “What happened?”

“It was just a mistake, it’ll be ok. You smell really good.” Joey said.

I realized he kept closing his eyes. “How much blood have you lost?”

“Just a little.”

“Liar. Come on.” I helped him off the wall and led him to the bed. He was weak and a little out of his mind because Joey didn’t talk unless he had to and now he was hitting on me, yup he was losing it. I helped him down and then fixed my towel before I flashed him.

“Where’s Myers now?” Joey asked as he kept his eyes closed I guessed from the pain. I wanted to suggest the hospital but I knew he wouldn’t go.

“Work.”

“Will he be back?”

“I don’t think so.” Zack never spent the night at my place and it was already so late that I didn’t expect to see him again until tomorrow. “I have to see him tomorrow at the office and ask some questions. Alissa put me on your father’s case. I’ll be back.” I grabbed everything I needed and headed to the bathroom to change into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. “Are you up for answering some questions?” I sat beside Joey on the bed now.

He groaned. “What questions?”

“You said on the phone you’d tell me everything I wanted to know. First is there anything you wanna share I could maybe make an article about?”

Joey opened one eye. “Are you still avoiding Myers? Aren’t you sleeping with him?”

“I’m not avoiding him and I’m…crap I am sleeping with him. But that’s not to point. Zack knows what the cops know, I’m sure you know more.” I explained.

“Nope I don’t know anything.”

“Liar!” I slapped him on his arm.

“Oww.”

“Sorry I think. Ok you lied you won’t tell me anything so what do you want from me?” I asked and crossed my arms before I made the mistake of hurting him again.

Joey opened both his eyes and sat up a little bit. “I’m serious, I don’t know anything. I suspect a lot but I don’t have facts. Remember how you asked around the station for Zack, it was your job so no one suspected anything fishy?”

“Yeah.” I softly said. “You want to use me like he used me right?” I was hurt that Zack or Joey since they were working together, didn’t trust me with facts of the case, I was good enough to get info and nothing more. But I showed them, I made that case for Zack and got his name cleared sooner than he had planned.

“Is that a problem?”

“Yes.” I said. When I agreed to help Zack I didn’t know what I signed myself up for, now I did. “I won’t help you until I have answers first.”

“You’re a pain in the ass.”

“So I’ve been told but those are the rules. You want my help but first I want answers.” I felt very good about taking control and making demands. 

Joey groaned and turned over.

“Hey be careful, if you get blood on my sheets I’ll have to kick your ass.” An empty threat but right now I was feeling powerful, maybe I could kick his ass. There was a knock on the door before I could pester him any farther.

“Myers?” Joey was worried.

“Zack doesn’t knock. He’s like you, he just comes in .I’ll check it out.” I left the room and closed the door. “I’m coming.” I yelled when they knocked again. “Nikki what are you doing here?” Nikki worked for my sister too but she had a lot more years of experience and was awesome at her job whereas I had dumb luck at times.

“I was working late at the office for this deadline, Alissa was there too doing her editor thing. A case came in and I offered to help you with it so here I am.” Nikki explained. She looked like she might’ve had a lot of coffee and very little sleep.

“Um...” I began I didn’t want to leave Joey alone.

Nikki followed my eyes. “Oh! You got a man here!”

“Shhh no I don’t.”  I couldn’t let Nikki know what was happening although she might enjoy helping considering she had a huge crush on Joey. “I was just thinking about the fact I won’t sleep tonight but you know what that’s ok. What’s the case?”

“Mmm Hmm.” Nikki didn’t believe me one bit. “Carry Green killed her husband in cold blood today, she found him with her sister doing the nasty thing. Very dramatic and juicy. Go change so we can get going.” She looked very excited about this; going without sleep was never good. I’m sure in a few hours I’ll be just as loopy.

“Ok give me a second.” I left Nikki and the living and headed to the bedroom, I locked the door behind me. “I have to go work.” I said as I began digging in my closet. I turned back around when I didn’t hear a response. He was out cold and sweating bullets. “No.” I whispered and ran to his side.

I tried to wake him up but it wasn’t working. “Joey if you don’t wake up I’ll have to call for help and I know you don’t want that.” But I was already dialing 911. I was scared for him, my hands were shaking and I felt sick at the thought of him dying.

I called for help and once I did that I dropped the phone, rushed to throw on decent clothes for the street. I ran to the living room and told Nikki what was happening, just the important parts and leaving out Joey’s quest for my help.

“My baby!” Nikki yelled as she rushed to the room.

I stayed and waited for help. A voice inside my head kept telling me to call Zack. I would have to lie again or tell him everything and that would lead to another fight and I didn’t want that. Ugh I picked up the phone and called him. Joey needed help, nothing else really mattered.

He didn’t answer his cell phone, house phone, or his beeper. He must’ve still been working a case. The ambulance came and I showed them to the room, Joey still hadn’t woken up and I was scared he never would.