Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Carry Green wasn’t granted bail, it was nothing big to attend but Nikki and I had nothing else to do. I was glad I went because I knew Carry, I knew her before she married Mike Green, I knew her as Carry Peru. I went to school with her and everyone knew Carry as a scary cat, she couldn’t kill anything, she always wanted to save the bugs and stuff like that.

Something felt wrong about her case. Nikki and I went back to the office where I got in my car and headed to booking. I wanted to talk with Carry if she was allowed to have visitors. “You’re always around when I need some help.” I told Jorge Lopez, he became a good informant for me since I got this job.

“Hey little lady, I was dropping off a collar. What can I do for you?” He asked.

“I want to talk with Carry Green, she’s an old friend.” That wasn’t a total lie; I talked to her sometimes in school.

“Uh huh.” Jorge mumbled around a sandwich, he was always eating a sandwich. “She’s allowed to have visitors but only family.” He explained.

“She’s my cousin.”

“Well when you put it like that.”

Jorge led me to booking; there were a few tables and chairs. I sat and a few minutes later Carry sat before me. “Sam Martiz I haven’t seen you in ages.” She said as she took a quick look around. “I heard you work for your sister so I guess that’s why you’re here.”

“I’m here because I just don’t believe your story.” I said, it was better to just jump to the point right? “I know we haven’t seen each other in years but I just can’t see you killing a human being.” I explained now.

Carry began to look uncomfortable. “That bastard cheated on me my rage took over.”

I stared at her and there were a lot of emotions in her eyes, it was more than that but I could see she didn’t want to talk about it and I couldn’t push it. She might cry. “I guess that’s true, I’d be angry too if my husband slept with my sister.” I decided to just go along with her but nothing was stopping this feeling in my chest, something wasn’t right. “Your sister was there right? When you killed him?”

“Yeah she had to talk to the cops.” Carry answered, now I saw regret. She wanted to protect her sister, shield her from having to talk about the case. I could relate to wanting to protect your sister.

“Is there anything you would like to be known in the case? Printed for other’s to read?” I asked.

“Yeah.” She said as she looked at me with her dark eyes. “Put in your article that you talked you me and I don’t regret killing that son of a bitch. If I had to do it all over again I would.” Carry had pleaded innocent so there would be a trial, she might get off but if what she said was known there was no way anyone would set her free. I think that was her plan.

I left after that. Carry’s words were chilling and painful. She confessed so normally the town would talk and a few papers would print an article but it’d fade away. No one saw this as a big deal but I did and I couldn’t let it go.

Brett McCoy worked at The Wave for a few years now and did any research that needed to be done. “Hey.” I said I walked into his small corner office, he was the only one besides Alissa that had office. “I need some help.”

McCoy clicked some keys on his keyboard and looked at me with gray eyes. “What’s up?”

“You heard about Carry Green right? Killed her husband for cheating on her?” I asked and he nodded yes. “I want to know where she lives, her sister, I want some background on her.”

“I could do that just give me a few hours.”

“Alright thanks.” I left his office and went to Alissa’s. “Any other cases for me?”

“No crimes been slow around town.” Alissa answered. It was a local paper and focused more on local events so sometimes crime was slow. If the paper focused on all of Miami then I’d be busy every hour of the day. “Did you talk to Zack about the De Luca case?”

Damn I forgot she put me on that so I was still involved. “Not yet.”

“Well there’s something for you to do.” Alissa said, even though she had been worried about me getting too involved there was still an article to be made.

The station wasn’t far from The Wave building, I think that’s why Alissa picked it, she was close by so when something went down we were first to be begging for questions. “Hey.” I said to Zack as I walked up behind him at his desk this time. Normally tracking down Zack for a case took some time. It must be a slow day after all.

“Hey.” Zack said with his hand on my back as he pulled me into a kiss.

“What’s with all the public kisses now?” I wasn’t complaining but it was new.

“It comes with the dating part, no more hiding except from your parents of course.”

“Of course.”

“So what brings you by?” Zack asked as he closed some files and pushed them aside and looked at me.

“Alissa put me on the De Luca case.” That pretty much explained it.

“There’s nothing new. Art De Luca was killed in his jail cell by another inmate and that person says it was over a disagreement nothing more.” Zack explained as a cop rather than a boyfriend.

“Ok. Any ideas who shot Joey? Does it tie into Art’s death?” I asked over my better judgment.

“No idea who shot Joey, he isn’t saying anything either and if the two crimes tie together it hasn’t been confirmed.” Zack said.

I was leaned closer to him from my chair. “Now off the record.”

Zack sighed, looked at me and sighed again. “Joey knows it was a hit and he wants to know who ordered it. He asked too many questions and wasn’t prepared for the back lash.”

“Is he still going to ask questions?” I asked worried that Joey would be shot again but killed this time. I didn’t like the possibility of that and it was a very real one.

“Most likely would be my guess, he really isn’t sharing his plans with anyone.”

“Are the cops going to look into De Luca’s death and see if it was a hit?”

“We’re trying. Now you stay out of it, if Joey comes to you again please turn him away or call me. You don’t want to get involved in this Sam.” Zack said. I saw the same look on him that Alissa had, he was worried.

“I’m not involved I was just curious, that’s it.” I promised, almost dying once was enough for me so I didn’t want any part of this. “I’ll see you tonight.” I left the station and got into my car. I sat there for a few minutes and thought the day over. It wasn’t slow or simple at all.

Lunch break was coming up so I went back to my apartment rather than the office. “I need another pet.” I said to myself as I shut the door. I really missed Biggie but I think it was time to move another pet in.

“I know of a dog that needs a home.”

My heart jumped from my chest again. I looked around but saw no one. “You really have to stop scaring me like that. I’m going to die early because of you.” After I said that Joey appeared before me with his arm bandaged up in a sling.

“I need your help.”

“Nah I don’t think that’s a good idea.” I said the words but at the same time I wanted to help him except it never turned out right.

“Too bad you’re helping me.”

“Well when you put it like that…wait no I’m not helping you.”

Joey stared at me. “You want to help me.”

“No I don’t, call Zack or someone else you work with.”

“That won’t work; I need a girl for this.”

 “Huh?” I was confused but even so I knew this wasn’t going to end up well for me.