Chapter 17

Chapter 17

“Why did you want to talk with Joey?” I asked because she didn’t say anything while he was here. I guessed that was because I was in the room, I never thought of my mom to be tied into all of this danger or that she’d try to keep me in the dark like everyone else. “Do you have any idea who sent the note?” I asked now as I sat beside her on the bed, I knew she wouldn’t say why she wanted to see Joey so I didn’t ask.

“I don’t, it’s been so many years Sam. I truly don’t know what this could be about.” She said and I believed her partly, I still felt something was going on I didn’t know of. “You and Joseph, nothing is going on between you yes?”

I gave her my dumb look. “I’m with Zack. Joey and I know each other sort of like friends but not that well.” I explained or tried to, I didn’t know what was going on with Joey.

“You should stay away from him; he leads a dangerous life with dangerous people.” She said with her mother’s worry face in place.

“I know.” I hated to admit. “You’re the one who wanted to see him.”

“I wanted him to see the note.” Mom finally admitted. “I thought he might know something since he and Art were so close.” That made sense but it was clear when we talked out in the hall that Joey didn’t know anymore than I did. “Will you be staying for dinner?”

“Um I can’t. I promised I’d meet Zack and I have to talk with Alissa.” I said as I left the bed before I was forced to stay for dinner. “Call me if anything else happens and stay safe.” I left the room and I was worried for my mom. Someone was targeting her for something none of us could understand.

I walked back to the gas station where my car was, it wasn’t the shortest walk but I could use the excise. I got into my car but I didn’t head home, I went to the office instead. I had an idea I wanted to take care of before I forgot which I’m sure I would. McCoy was in his office typing a mile a minute on his keyboard. I knocked on the open door to get his attention. “Got a minute?”

“Sure what’s up Sam?”

“I have another search for you. I want to know everything you can find on Joseph DeLuca.” I said. It felt like spying, looking where you shouldn’t with a fear of getting caught but that didn’t stop me from doing it.

McCoy arched a brow. “Sure that’s wise?”

As I learned more about Joey from people around me I realized he was feared, people were cautious at the name DeLuca. I guess when Art went to prison his name didn’t fade like most of has had thought.  But I couldn’t be scared of Joey, I was just very curious. “Yeah I’m sure. Just a simple search, I’m sure you can handle it.” I left the office before he tried to get out of the request.

“What happened with you today?” Alissa asked after I stepped into her office and shut the door.

“I wasn’t feeling good, sorry I didn’t call. Anything going on?” I asked as I took my usual seat in front of her desk.

“Good job on the Carry Green case, I’m glad you followed your gut and found out what really happened.” Alissa started. “There’s no work for you now but if something comes up I’ll let you know.”

“Thanks.” I said then left the office. I’m glad I left when I did because the traffic was starting to pile up and I didn’t want to be stuck in that. I locked up my car and took the elevator to my apartment; I had enough walking for today.

“How’d it go?” Zack asked from his spot on the arm rest of the sofa.

 “Joey and I parted ways about half hour ago so I couldn’t lure him back here.” I wanted him to know I had tried. “Mom didn’t really give me any answers but I have a feelings something is bothering her. Nothing really happened.”

“That’s not always a bad thing.” Zack wrapped his arms around my waist as I stood in front of him on the sofa. “I have to go.” he said nuzzling my neck.

“Ok…?” His lips danced across my neck and my knees began to weaken, the man was magic with his lips and tongue.

“But I don’t want to.”

“That can be arranged.” I said with a smile before we kissed. I pulled him closer to me by the opening of the shirt he had on over his t-shirt. With each passing second we were goners, where ever Zack had to go he’d be late.

“Uh… no one wants to see that.” I turned around and Joey was standing at my door.

“I’ve been looking for you.” Zack said with his arm still around my waist.

“I was busy before, now I have a chance to talk.” Joey said. I wasn’t looking at him but I could feel him looking at me. I couldn’t really understand why I felt so weird around him, but I’m guessing it had something to do with the fact we sucked on each others lunges.

Zack sighed and let me go as he stood from the sofa. “I really have to go now.” He kissed me lightly on the mouth and headed to the door. “Love you, bye.” And he and Joey were gone.

Love you? Huh? “Wait!” I called out to him but he was gone. I hauled ass to my bedroom window that over looked the parking lot. I opened the window. “Wait!” I yelled again.

“What?” Zack yelled back, looking up at me.

Maybe I was taking this too seriously but whatever it was I wanted to know. “What do you mean ‘love you?’”

I saw him smile. “It means what it means; I love you.”

My heart was racing. “Since when?” I yelled, the whole building and anyone on the street heard us.

I saw his smile widened from up here. “Since you believed in me.” He got into the car and left after that.

I was giddy and shocked in place, Zack loved me? Oh my god. Total chick moment but no one was around so I let the happy tears fall down my cheeks. I closed the window and sat back on my bed. I was so happy I couldn’t stop smiling.

I couldn’t hear the knock on my door either until the knock turned into pounding. I left the room and wondered who was messing with my happy moment. “What?” I said opening the door. “Erin what are you doing here?” I couldn’t think of a time Erin was ever at my apartment.

“I need someone to talk to. Everything is a huge mess!”