Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Why did I agree to leave with Joey, a man that sort of scared me but intrigued me? Another man all together when I was with Zack Myers who had just told me to stay out of this? Because I’m an idiot that’s why, a freaking idiot! I was regretting every decision I’ve made these last few days.  “So where are we going?” I finally asked. Joey had been driving for nearly half hour now and I had no clue where we were.

“Around.” Joey wasn’t good at answering questions, he dodged them which pissed me off in the long run and right now I was feeling everything tenfold.

I crossed my arms and looked at him. “That’s not an answer. I can’t believe I was stupid enough to leave with you, I just don’t learn!” I snapped more at myself but that didn’t stop Joey from talking.

“You don’t learn.” He sure picked a hell of a time to agree with me and be social. I missed silent brooding Joey.

 “I think it’s time you learn something about me. I hate being in a car for too long, it irks me like nothing else so now I’m reaching that point and I’m getting angry. Tell me where you’re taking me!” I yelled now.

Joey smiled and I wanted to punch him. “You’ll see.”

I groaned and  rested my head on the dashboard in defeat. I was just too tired to put up much more of a fight because I knew no matter what I was stuck with Joey because I agreed to going and he didn’t cower easily.

“You need to relax.”

I nearly jumped when I felt his hand along the back on my neck but he held me in place until I realized what he was doing and the urge to jump from fear faded, sort of. Now I still had the urge because he was touching me.

Hot men do not understand; you can’t just touch a woman, it does things to us. Or maybe it’s slutty women, as I am. I’m with Zack the guy of my dreams! I should be feeling flutters and crap from another guy. I’m so weak.

It wasn’t that I wanted Joey, no I was serious when I told him I’d never sleep with him and we could never ever have that type of relationship. It was just something new and again intriguing but nothing sexual. It was a crush yes a crush, and with time all crushes faded.

Although my last crush was Zack and that one’s lasted since I was seven but that’s different. Everything with Zack was different and complicated.

My cell phone began to ring it was with all my stuff at the hospital I don’t know how it survived the fire but it had. I answered it and ignored Joey’s warning look. “Hello?”

“Where are you?” It was Zack’s disapproving tone, oh great.

“What no how are you? Are you ok? I love you?” I was trying to buy time as I thought of a lie. More lying, I’m pathetic.  

“Samantha Martiz, where are you?”

Eh he was pissed, my guilt soared but so did my anger. He was being a little too demanding here but at the same time it was justified, my life was in danger and he was worried and I did promise to stay out of it but that never works. “I’m just sight seeing, getting some air.” I couldn’t really tell him since I had no idea where I was.

I heard him sigh and I was sure he was running his hand through his hair. “Are you with DeLuca?”

I sat back in the chair and began to bite my nails, no lies were coming and I was freakin stuck. “Um…?” but I think the reason lies wouldn’t come was because I didn’t want to lie.

Joey snatched the phone from my hand. “She’ll call you later.” He said and ended the call before handing me back the phone.

I looked at him with a ‘how dare you?’ shocked look. “Hey!” I snapped.

“Thank me later.”

“Thank you? If this leads to Zack and me breaking up, hell at this point I wouldn’t blame him. I’m going to take it out on you and trust me I can make your life a living hell.” Now I was furious but I only had myself to blame, I wish I could hit myself but I didn’t like self inflected pain.

He parked the car I guess we were wherever it was he was going. He looked at me, his eyes more green with the sunlight filling the car. “I don’t doubt that because you’re doing a great job of it now. Just don’t talk anymore ok? Just Shhh.” He said before getting out of the car.

Did he just shh me? What? Oh hell no. Hmm fine I could do this. I decided to change my game as I followed him. I wasn’t going to snap and be nasty, I was just going to keep shut and when he least expected it I’d get him back.

We were at a dock, we walked along the long patch in silence, there were a few boats tied down.

“After talking to your mom I’ve started to piece a few things together.” Joey started. “I looked into my father’s past and I found why he died.” I heard the pain in his voice and the regret.

“What was it?” I finally spoke, I couldn’t stay mad when he was finally opening up and it was obvious he was sad.

“That’s why we’re here; I’m going to show you.” We stopped walking and he looked into my eyes. “I wanted to keep you out of this and I thought the way I got you involved was that night in the club but you’ve been involved from the start Sam because of your mom. So it’s time I just be completely open with you.”

Damn now I really couldn’t be mad at him anymore. “I’m lost.”

“You need all the answers so you can be prepared if someone comes after you again. So come on.” Joey grabbed my hand and helped me on to one of the docked boats.

He led me to the bottom half of the boat, there were chairs and a small kitchen, looked like my apartment, nice and small. But nice for a boat. Then we stopped and I came face to face with my mother. If I wasn’t lost before I was now.

She looked sad as if she had been crying, I became worried and scared. “What is going on?” there was another woman there, she looked away from all of us but I was too focused on my mom to care. I looked at Joey for answers since no one else was talking.

“This is Elena.” Joey introduced the other woman. “She’s um…” I had never heard him nervous and it was scaring me. “…our sister.”