Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Everyone came back downstairs, mom had been crying and dad looked pissed but they were hiding it pretty well. We all sat and had dinner. It was awkwardly silent but it the same time it also welcoming because knowing my family this could’ve been much worse.

Erin and Theo took some leftovers with them and left shortly after dinner. Dad went back upstairs to his room, he mumbled something about a game being on. Mom went to the kitchen to clean up.

“I’m going to go say goodnight.” Elena said as she followed mom.

“Come on.” I grabbed Joey’s arm and pulled him outside. “So spill it.” I was a little too anxious as I tried not to bounce on the balls of my feet.

He smiled. “How long have you been itching to say that?”

“The last hour, when Elena and I were talking what was going on with you? You figured something out right?”

“You’re so nosey. It gave me something to check out but I don’t have anything to really share.” Joey admitted with a sarcastic shrug of his shoulders.

“Check what out? Come on man tell me!”

“Don’t you have a date with Myers? You go do your thing and I’ll go do mine.”

“Fine be an ass. What are you going to do with Elena?”

“She can’t go home yet, someone might know she found your mom. For now I’m taking her somewhere safe and outside of sight. You try and do the same thing, be safe and stay out of sight.” Joey said as Elena joined us outside. We said our goodbyes and they left with no more resolution than that. I could have all the questions and ideas in the world but right now none of them were helping because on one hand Joey didn’t want to involve me and on the other my mom was too scared to tell me anything.

I went back inside and to the kitchen. “How are you?” I asked mom as she washed the dishes.

“I’ll be ok.”

“How did it go with dad?”

“It went fine.”

Even after all that happened she was still treating me like a little girl she didn’t want to worry. I wanted to scream all the ways I was an adult and could really be a benefit to confide in but alas I couldn’t force her to trust me.  “Ok, I’m gonna go upstairs.”

“That’s good you need your rest.”

I left the kitchen feeling a little worthless and upset. But maybe it was easier this way because at the same time I didn’t want to take on everyone else’s worries and fears. I walked into my room and flopped down on the bed, I was so tired. My eyes finally closed and my cell phone rang. “Yeah?”

“I forgot you’re staying with your parents.” It was Zack. “We’re going to have to wait on our plans for tonight.”

“Yeah living at home sucks major ass but it’s ok I’m tired anyway.” But it was Zack; if he was around I knew I’d perk right up.

“How was dinner?”

I sighed. “It’s over. Everyone knows about Elena and even Theo met her. Dad looks pissed but he’s not expressing it. It all went pretty good.” I had been expecting a lot of yelling and lashing out but it went better than expected except for Alissa storming out like a child.

“That’s good. I’ll let you get your rest now you need it, and I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” Zack said ending the call.

I pushed the cordless phone to the side and sat up. I was tired but I couldn’t sleep and dinner had been so tense that I didn’t eat to my full capacity, my stomach growled at that fact. Since mom should be done cleaning the kitchen and everyone else was in bed, I headed downstairs.