Chapter 19

Chapter 19

DLVM stood for De Luca, Viggiano and Muniz, it was a law firm, a very prestigious and successful law firm. I had never head of it but then again I didn’t know what much about law and never had a reason to need a lawyer. The file went on to explain besides being a criminal justice law firm they also had their own private investigators and DNA analysis experts on staff.  

I was learning some very interesting things.

Since Joey was eighteen he became apart of the business first doing odd jobs around the office as he went to law school. Joey was a lawyer as well and a licensed private investigator. He preferred piecing the cases together rather than defend them in court. It was his job as Art’s only child, he had to make him proud and since Art went to jail Joey’s been running the whole firm.

I wouldn’t call it a let down to know what Joey finally did but I expected something more. I’m sure there was more I didn’t know, like the reason everyone believed he was so dangerous, the illegal side of his business his father might’ve passed down as well, I’m sure that wouldn’t come up in a search.  

The rest showed like McCoy said the basics. Name: Joseph De Luca, Age: Twenty nine.  Address was the same as the company building. I closed the file and shoved it in my bag before going off the Alissa’s office. “What’s up?” I asked her.

“I need help and you haven’t been working here as long as others but you’re family so I trust you more.” Alissa explained, I could see this was going to be a favor and she was going to owe me, that’s always good for days I don’t want to go to the house and she could cover for me. “I have to leave town next week for a few days. I need to you take care of everything here.”

“Huh? I can’t do that.” I pointed out. “You do so much, the editing and giving out the assignments, the checks, everything!” If I had to be Alissa I wouldn’t handle it, too much stress.

“Calm down, it’ll be for three days tops, I’m living town not dying. If you have a question or need something just call me. And the editor parts just email me and I’ll handle it and all you’ll have to do it get it to the printer.” Alissa explained so calm and with a small smile, I think she enjoyed seeing me freak out over this.

“Ok.” I gave in. “I’ll do my best.” That was pretty much it so I headed home, I was feeling the weight of the day, and I just wanted to sleep. I got home and locked up the door before heading off to my room. I took off my shorts and fell into bed.

I don’t know how much time passed or if I was even awake. Everything felt so wrong. “Sam!” I heard someone calling my name but I couldn’t say anything, I tried to open my eyes but it was so dark. I coughed and coughed and finally saw what was happening. My apartment was on fire! I fell to the floor and tried to fight all the smoke. I heard it again, my name being screamed but I didn’t know who it was.  “Over here!” I yelled but I’m not sure if the words escaped my mouth.

It was so hard to breathe, everything went dark again. The next time I was able to open my eyes I still couldn’t see but I was out of the room. It hurt to try and see anything before me so I kept my eyes closed. I was on my back on a hard cold floor, if I was guessing; I was in the hallway outside the apartment.

“You’ll be ok.” The voice said, I still couldn’t figure out who it was. “I can’t lose you.”

Zack? I guessed just before my body gave up and I passed out again.

The next time I opened my eyes I could breathe but everything was bright. After a few blinks and my heard pounding I saw I was in a hospital room. “Fuck.” I said closing my eyes.

“Sam.” My name was said in a stern voice telling me I was wrong and I knew it was my mother.

“Sorry.” I sighed I was in the hospital but that didn’t matter, no cursing in front of mom. “What happened?” I asked.

“Your apartment was on fire and you inhaled a lot of smoke.” I knew it was Zack talking to me now; he walked up beside me and grabbed my hand. “The doctor said you’ll be just fine. Do you remember anything?” he asked.

I tried to think but everything was so fuzzy. “I was at the office talking with Alissa then I went home and to bed. Then I heard someone calling my name but it was so hard to focus, I passed out and that’s all I remember.” The room finally stopped spinning and I didn’t feel like dying, I opened my eyes and looked at Zack. “Who found me?”

“One of your neighbors called 911, when the paramedics got there you were passed out in the hallway away from the fire.” Zack explained. “The fire inspector is looking for the reason of the fire.” I could see he was worried and angry.

Someone was there, I know someone was there I couldn’t be imagining it. It was still too hard to think. “My apartment?”

“Gone, what isn’t burned is damaged with the smoke and water. No one was hurt; the damage is just in your place.” Zack cringed with every word. This sucked no apartment no anything because everything I owned was in that place. I was depressed now, I sighed and turned over. “It’ll be ok Sam.” He said rubbing my shoulder. “I’ll go and give you and you mom some time alone.” He said pulling away.

Time alone with mom didn’t sound good right now. He left and she took his place at my bedside. “I want you to come stay at the house. There’s more than enough room.” She said without much wiggle room.    

I nodded; I didn’t really have a choice since my place was gone. “I feel like there’s something else, another reason you sound so scared.” I said as I felt tired all over again, I think they gave me some drugs.

Mom said a few prayers in Spanish before addressing my question. “I got another note.”

I forced my eyes back open. “What did it say?” Yeah I was given something because I could not keep my eyes from closing, I felt like I took a lot of sleeping pills.

“The fire was set up as a warning to me. Someone found out Art called me just a few days before his death.” She explained in a hush voice.

Crap I couldn’t fight it anymore, I was knocked out.

When I woke up the room was empty and dark, I instantly remembered what mom said before I fell asleep. I had so many questions but she was gone. Now I felt awake, very awake and nothing to do. I tried to sit up and turn on the light but a hand landed on my arm. “Don’t move.”