Chapter 21

Chapter 21

“What’s going on?” Zack asked, I could tell he realized I knew something and I was ready to talk, he seemed to be a little glad and worried.

I sighed and sat up; I couldn’t get past the feeling of betrayal. I was either lying to Joey and my mom or Zack, I couldn’t keep a promise to save my life. But this was serious; lives were on the line so I had to do what I felt was right. “The fire was set as a warning to my mother.” I left out the Joey part because it wasn’t needed, I didn’t want Zack to get the wrong idea. “She use to know Art and the people that had him killed didn’t want him talking about something and they believe he told my mother what it was. Joey believes the person behind all this was at the club that night and I know you have a list of everyone there.” I explained.

“And you want the list.” Zack stated. “First off, why didn’t your mom call the cops or say anything?”

“She and Joey agreed they didn’t want cops involved.” That didn’t get easier to swallow. My homely mom was working with the suspected mob boss’ son.

Zack cringed. “They’re working together?”

“Something like that, they aren’t really telling me everything.” I answered. “I just want to figure out who’s behind this before mom or me or someone else in the family gets hurt.” It was all too serious; I was feeling stressed and scared. I wasn’t in control of anything not even my emotions and it was starting to take its toll. I just needed it all over, all back to normal and boring.

“You need to rest and focus on your own work. From now on you’re out of this, I can’t give you that list and I can’t keep this to myself. This has to be turned over to the cops, an arrest needs to be made and this person who tried to hurt you needs to pay.” Zack was very serious and angry, it was good to see he didn’t like my life on the line. “It’s not up for discussion.”

“I can see that but,” Come on now I couldn’t just keep my mouth shut. “as you’ve pointed out before, these are dangerous guys, pros, what makes you think they won’t get away now?” It wasn’t that I didn’t trust Zack’s cop skills, he was good but these guys were smart and have never been caught before.

“Why don’t you let me worry about that?” Zack bent down and kissed me fully on the mouth. “And I swear Sam; if you don’t stay out of this I will lock you in my apartment until this is over.”

I watched as he walked over to the door. “Lock me up how?”

“Tie you to the bed.” Zack said with a smile.

“I might like that.” I teased.

“I’m gonna remember you said that, now get some rest.” He was gone after that.

I didn’t feel like resting, I wanted out of the damn hospital room. But once I left I was staying at my parents, that wasn’t any better than this, at least here I was alone. I began to stare at the white walls, I was so bored. 

“Hey.” Alissa walked into my room and sat down. “What is with you and near death experiences lately?”

“What do you mean?”

“The thing with the Mayor kidnapping you, gunshot victim in your bedroom; not too smart. And now a fire, what the hell?” Alissa was mad and worried, at least I hoped. It wasn’t easy to read emotions off of Alissa, just anger.

“Hey, I can’t control this.” I said, now I was mad, she could’ve been a little nicer, I was in the hospital! “I’m still alive right so I’m doing something right. Why aren’t you at work or out of town?” I asked remembering she shouldn’t be here.

“I’m leaving later because I wanted to check on you. Can you handle running the paper or should…”

“I can do it. I’m fine and I should be out of here in a few hours.” I said. She left soon after that, she said her goodbyes and I thought a nap would be good now. Then Erin showed up, I loved my sister but she could be so annoying, and now being close to her due date she was a sobbing mess at the littlest things.

“Oh my god, you could’ve died!” Erin yelled as she threw her arms around me, I found it hard to breathe. “Do you need anything, just tell me!”

“I need you to let go off me.” I managed to say. “And I need you to stop yelling.” I said once she sat down. “I’m fine, really am. How are you?”

“I’m feeling better, Theo told me you talked to him and he told me where he was all this time. Everything is better now.” Erin said with a huge smile, I could see the lovey glowing thing across her face. I was happy for her I was but I found the head over heels love mushy stuff sickening.

“That’s good. How’s the baby?”

“Kicking a lot, I think I’m gonna be a soccer mom.”

”Teenage soccer mom, sounds good.” I said and tried not to laugh but the image in my head was funny as hell.

“Hey no laughing! I have to go but I’ll see you later. Me and grandma are going shopping. Feel better.” Erin said and hugged me again. I said I was fine but everyone kept wishing me well.

I closed my eyes now feeling tired and I hoped no one else from my family showed up. I laid there with my eyes closed but I wasn’t sleeping, I was thinking. I thought of Joey, I wondered what he was doing and what else he knew. It hit close to home from him, his father was killed because of whatever was happening. I knew he wasn’t telling me everything, mom either.

I had a lot of questions, I made a deal with myself. Next time I saw Joey I was going to force him to talk, I could be very annoying. I was coming up with a plan now so I wished he’d show up on my long guest light today.

I felt a hand on my arm, it was Joey. “I want a million dollars.” I said and waited, “Damn didn’t work.”

“What do you mean?”

“I was just thinking about you and here you are. I was hoping it’d work again.” I explained, I saw him trying not to smile. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m here to spring you, it’s time to go.”

“Not according to the doctors and I’m not fighting it. Spending the whole day with my family isn’t fun.” I really wanted my apartment back.

“You don’t get it kid, you’re coming with me.”

“Where?”

“You and questions.” Joey sighed. “Come on before someone walks in and we’re busted.”

“You’re so bossy. Fine I’ll go.”