Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I walked into a middle of a fight between my mother and my younger sister, Erin. For the last week it had been like this between them, nonstop arguing and sometimes for the craziest things. It was Wednesday meaning everyone had to come home for dinner. Alissa my older sister who was also my boss stood beside me and watched the display.

My mom began to talk in Spanish; it was big sign that she was furious. "Puedo preguntar solamente que el dios me ayuda a hacerlo con este infierno!" She was asking god to help her through this hell as she stormed off into the kitchen.

I had an urge to just go home and eat the dish soap since I had no food at my apartment. It had to be better than this. And of course Erin being the brat that she was couldn't leave this alone. I knew when to back off our pissed off mother and let her cool down, a talent my sister did not have.

"God help you? You're the one that keeps starting this fight up. Mami you have to let me make my own choices!" Erin yelled as she followed her.

"Because that's worked so well?" My mom countered and looked at Erin's six month pregnant stomach. Erin was sixteen and knocked up. When my parents found out they were furious and still were. They arranged for Erin to marry the father of the baby, Theo Myers, so the baby wouldn't be born into wedlock. Theo also happened to be the brother of an annoying asshole.

It was going to be two months since the wedding. Erin and Theo moved into their own apartment. Both set of parents agreed if they were old enough to have a baby they were old enough to live on their own and work for their income. I liked that plan because since Erin was a baby mom spoiled her rotten maybe because she knew Erin was her last.

"Come on." Alissa said and grabbed my wrist. We went out to the porch; since we could walk we always went to the porch to talk.

"What are they fighting about now?" I sat on the porch and nearly burned my ass off, it was so hot. It was August; we were insane to come out in this heat. It was seven o'clock in the after noon but the sun was still burning bright.

"Erin is wasting more money than she and Theo are making and mom wants her to make better choices. Same fight all week so enough about it; what's new with you? Or should I say you and Zack?" Alissa said with a grin, I wanted to throw up on her.

"Screw Zack. That jerk." Zack Myers turns me into a complete idiot. At seventeen I lost my virginity to him and carried on a short lived affair before he disappeared without a word to live with a relative. Then about three months ago he got into some trouble with the law and I helped him out. We started sleeping together, inevitable it seems. I had no complaints, Zack was a god in bed but lately we fought as much as Mom and Erin.

We weren't dating or anything serious, it was just sex like it had been the last time we were in each other's lives. Not a type of relationship I was a fan of but I took what I could get and except I couldn't help it; I wanted more. But with Zack Myers there wasn't more so I ended it two weeks ago. Three months ago I would've killed for what we had now; sex and fun but after awhile the heart couldn't help what it wished for. Stupid fucking heart.

The last two weeks were hard because Zack was a cop with the Miami PD, I was a crime journalist for my sister's paper and that caused us to see each other almost everyday.

"What happened?" Alissa asked, she was the only person that knew about my ugly past with Zack, she was the only one I could open up to ten years ago and still the only one I had now.

"Whatever was going on is over and I don't want to talk about it." I was in a pouting mood. Work was going ok but it wasn't enough, the bills were piling up and I had no food to console me so I was coming home for meals. Which gave me a headache because of all the fighting.

"Ok but if you need me I'm here." Alissa said. She was always such a great sister but hell as a boss, a huge control freak I couldn't stay mad at for long.

"Well I do need something."

"Oh god what is it? You have that look you had a kid when you were gonna ask me something you knew I would hate." Alissa explained, damn she knew me too well.

"I want to go home but I want some dinner so I leave now and you bring me a plate later." I really didn't want to stick around for another awkward dinner with the family.

"Fine." Alissa said, yes! "But you'll have to do something for me but I don't know what yet."

"Ok." It could've been worse. "If they ask tell them you sent me on a case or something." I said my goodbyes to Alissa and headed back to my apartment. The place was very lonely since my pet fish, Biggie, died well he was killed in this murderess mix up a few months ago that had me kidnapped for a few hours.

When I walked inside my home it wasn't empty. "You have to stop just coming in when you want." I snapped, I hated when he showed up at my apartment, ok well sometimes, most of the time now. My word life could be confusing. "What do you want?" I was angry but still affected by the man's drop dead hot looks. Blonde hair, tall long hard body and a pair of panty dropper blue eyes. Zack Myers ladies and gents.

"Don't get bent out of shape babe I'm here on business." Zack said as he walked up to me. He knew I was fed up with our strictly sex only relationship and asked what I wanted, the dumbest thing dawned on me two weeks ago when he asked. I realized I wasn't sure what I wanted.

"Fine what is it?" I really wanted him to go; having Zack so close did things to my body I couldn't control.

"You're sexy when you pout, your eyes turn more like a forest green." I should've known Zack was going to make this harder. No I wouldn't give in...like I almost did four days go on the lobby table at the police station.

"What business?"

"You know Art De Luca right?" Zack asked. Art De Luca was in prison for ordering people's deaths. He was the biggest mob boss to hit North America since anyone could remember.

"What about him?" I asked, Art was also Joey De Luca's father. Joey and I met while we were helping Zack keep his own ass out of jail and find the person setting him up for a murder charge. I haven't seen Joey since it all ended.

"Art De Luca was killed in his cell. The word going around is someone ordered the hit. Word also is Joey's looking for cold blood revenge. I know you and Joey became friends and I need you to help me find him before he does something stupid." Zack explained, all his earlier flirting was replaced by his cop face and mode, focus on the case and only the case. He could be very focused when he wanted to be.

I felt so bad for Joey, I didn't know much about him but he was a nice guy and I knew his father's death must be killing him. I didn't want to get involved in another case with Zack but I felt the need to help Joey; stop him from doing something stupid and ending up in jail himself. I couldn't explain it, I had met Joey a handful of times and yet I felt like I owed him this. "Ok what do I do?"