Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Just after I agreed to help Zack find Joey anyway I can the home phone rang. I always kept a landline because cellphones could be such a pain in the ass sometimes. Good thing I was standing close to it. "Hello?"

"It's Alissa, I got a case for you. Art De Luca was killed; he's a big name in the crime business. If you want the whole back-story just have McCoy research it for you at the office. I want the whole story, what's going on with the investigation and how the family and friends are reacting." Alissa explained with rushed words. My sister was very passionate about her job, when she gave me a case there was always this little warning in her voice: don't mess it up.

"Ok I'll get working on it but damn that means I have to talk with Zack." I said, a little idea popped into my head.

"Yes I know you're mad at him but it's your job."

I was looking at Zack now. "Ok I'll go talk with the jackass now but since you know I detest the idea, after this I don't owe you any favors for covering with me at the house." I didn't like owing Alissa favors, it always turned out to be hell when she cashed in.

"Fine whatever you want just go do your job. Oh let me get some enjoyment out of this. Mom wants everyone here for dinner tomorrow again but this time she's inviting the whole Myers family since we haven't gotten together since the wedding. Bye." Alissa was too happy saying that before hanging up.

I felt my eyes pop out of my head. Both families all together; hell really had to be better. Our parents didn't get along, I think they blamed each other for Theo and Erin's stupid mistakes, why was mom doing this?

"Earth to Sam."

I blinked and looked at Zack, I forgot he was there and that's a hard thing to do. "My mom invited your whole family to dinner tomorrow." I was still shocked.

"I know."

"You're not going to go are you?" I wasn't going oh no I was not going.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world." Zack said with a grin. "And you're mom didn't give anyone a choice. It was more of a demand than an invite. She said since the wedding we haven't come together as a family and it's time. She also pointed out when she called me I skipped the wedding so I have to come. You're mom's a scary lady when she's pissed." Zack explained.

"Tell me about it. Why did you flake on the wedding anyway?"

"I had to work." I wasn't sure I believed that. Zack was like me; not a fan of family gatherings.

"It was a nice wedding until Grandma Loupe pointed out Erin and Theo can do it free and clear now that they were married, my father almost had a heart attack that the thought. My mom kept praying then cursing when she was sure no one was listening. Alissa ran out right after the I do's. Dad kept drinking and Grandma was trying to get a date from your grandfather." I explained, that was pretty much it. That was a day to remember and never want to happen again.

Zack was laughing. "Your grandmother and my grandfather? The women in your family just love the men in mine." He had to point that out.

"It's stupidity but Erin was the only one stupid enough to marry one." I had my own points to point out now. I went to the kitchen in a desperate need for a soda.

"I thought that's why we broke up because you wanted to get married." Zack said as he followed me.

"No I don't want to get married and we weren't together to break up." I said tightly. I wasn't in the mood to have this conversation, I was still too mad at him.

"We were something and if it wasn't marriage what did you want?"

"I...I don't know." I snapped. I liked Zack in cop mode, he didn't think of his life and right now I was in his life.

"That's the problem." Zack snapped back.

"Ugh I don't want to fight with you anymore. Just go." We had this fight already, I didn't know what I wanted next but he also didn't know how much he was willing to commit. It was a mess and always ended with him leaving and me yelling at the closed door.

"I'm not leaving." Zack said. No that's not part of the scene, you have to storm out! "We still have work to do." Damn good point I forgot about that. "And," Ahh no and just work and go! "We have to talk about this."

"Why?" Escaped my mouth before I could stop it. "Why wouldn't you just let this go?"

I was waiting for an answer but I didn't get one. Instead I was pressed against the counter and he was kissing me. I could never fight Zack Myers not ten years ago and all the nights I thought of him after and especially now that I knew how good he was. If he didn't pull away this time I wouldn't have.

"That's why I can't let this go." He whispered in my ear before trailing kisses down my neck. Every part of my body began to tingle.

I suppressed a moan when I felt his hand going up my shirt. "So what now? Just tell me what you want."

"I want you." Zack whispered again. Sex was always on his womanizing mind.

"And then?"

"I want you again." This time Zack looked at me as he said it. "And again." Bam my jeans fell to my knees.

"You were right before we have work to do and Alissa wants something on this case tomorrow so now---" he kissed me again, hard and passionate and needed.

"Work can wait a little longer." Zack said as he threw me over his shoulder and headed to my bedroom.

"This isn't fair. There's work to be done and I said I never wanted to sleep with you again." I said as he tossed me down on the bed and leaned over me.

"Yes but I also know when you lie. You want me and you want me bad."

Damn he was right I was too weak and with that look he was giving me I couldn't fight. "Bastard."

"Pain in the ass."

"Idiot."

"I thought that one was yours." Zack pointed out with his sexy grin. He leaned down and began to kiss my neck again

It was true I was an idiot for letting him do this to me all the time. "Ok what if I did want to get married?"

That did the trick he looked at me again. "Do you?" Zack rested his elbow on the side of my head as half his body leans against mine.

"Not right now." Crap I was being honest! I didn't want to do that. Screw it. "What I want from you is something other than sex buddies and work. That's all we done for almost three months. Now I want you to...take me out on a date."

"A date?" Zack questioned as he ran his hand up and down my bare leg. My jeans and sneakers were somewhere in the hall. "We could do that." his hand was up my shirt again.

"Tomorrow night?"

"Whenever you want babe." Zack kissed me again and there would be no more talking. I knew his mind was focused on sex and only sex and this time I wasn't complaining.

I was pissed when the phone rang again. It was on my nightstand, I put one in my room since Alissa called me day or night for a case. "I have to." I told Zack as I pulled away. "Hello?" I said once I was sitting up at the edge of the bed.

"I have to see you." New flutters floated inside my chest. "Is Myers with you?"

"Yeah."

"Don't let him know I'm talking to you."

"Why?" I asked.

"I'll tell you what you want to know when I see you. Just for now don't say anything." Then he hung up. Now I was curious because Joey never told me anything.

"Hey what's going on?" Zack asked as he touched my arm to get my attention.

I hope I wouldn't regret this. "It was nothing."