Chapter Seventeen

"You're Austin Mahone, right?" The boy asks.

"Are you Derek?" I ask in shock.

He nods his head. "What are you doing here?"

"I saw a picture of Cori online, at this hospital." He says. "I saw she's been working for you for the past few months. Is she in that room?"

He takes a step toward Calli's room, but I shove him backward. "You have no right to go in there!"

"The only girl I've ever loved is in there." He shouts back at me. "Now let me in that god damn room!"

Derek shoves me against a wall and tries to open the door, but I pull him by the collar of his shirt so he can't go in there. I know I should tell him Cori is in the cafeteria with my mom, but I'm too pissed at him to think coherently.

"You don't deserve her again." I spit out. "You left Cori when she needed you most, and you expect her to just take you back?"

"I know I don't deserve her!" He screams.

By now everyone in the area we're in has turned to stare at us. Detective James is slowly making his way towards us.

"Then why are you here?" I fight back.

"Because I need to know that nothing bad has happened to her." He says, making his way to the door again. "Now, either let me in there, or I will force you to let me in."

"You can't go in there." I spit out. "Now leave."

He pushes me against the wall and jams his elbow into my throat.

"Hey!" I hear Detective James scream. He runs over to us and pulls Derek off of me. "What the hell is going on here?"

"He won't let me in there to see my girlfriend!" Derek shouts.

"Girlfriend?" He asks. "She's married to Austin, and pregnant with his child."

His eyes widen at me. "Your what?"

There's no anger in his eyes, only sadness. "She moved on? It hasn't even been a year."

"I thought you and Calli have been together for six years?" Detective James glances at me.

"Calli?" Derek questions. "But I thought... I saw the picture of Cori. What's going on?"

"That's what I was trying to tell you!" I sigh loudly. "My wife is in there; we almost lost our baby two days ago. Cori works for me and was the one that brought Calli here."

Derek falls to his knees, breathing heavily. "Holy shit."

Detective James backs away. "Are we good here?"

I nod my head and he goes back to Detective Ortiz.

He sits agaisnt the wall, tugging at the ends of his hair.

I sit down beside him. "What made you come back?"

He lifts his head up, and rests it agains the wall. "I've always wanted to come back."

"But?"

"I was afraid she didn't want me back." He answers.

"She still loves you." I admit. "She's told Calli and me everything."

I glance down the hallway and see Cori walking this way. Her eyes are glued to the phone in her hand.

I stand up and quickly pull Derek up with me. "Follow me. Cori can't see you yet."

"What? Why not?" He asks, trying to come out of Calli's room.

"Austin, who's this?" Calli asks. "And what was with all that yelling?"