Chapter Twelve

The remainder of the weekend Austin and I get to know Cori, while she experiments around the kitchen and cooks anything she can think of. She's an even better chef than she led us to believe. When she is cooking, I sit at the bar watching her work. Every now and then I'll ask her what she's using and she'll explain it to me. I've never been the greastest cook, so I'm enjoying having her around to teach me.

Sunday night I find myself sitting alone in the living room watching old videos. Austin had gone to bed hours before, and Cori was cleaning up in the kitchen. I press play on the remote and the tape starts. The video that's playing is from five years ago, at one of the tour rehersals.

Austin and his choreographer are teaching the moves to his song Secret. They're yelling out counts and the hits we're supposed to make. I can see myself in the back, quickly picking up on the moves everyone else is struggling with. Austin stares in my direction for a few seconds, before whispering to his choreographer. He glances my way and smiles.

"Everyone stop!" He says. "Calli can you come up to the front please?"

Slowly, I make my way to the front of the stage. Everyone stares at me, Maddi and Monica are off to the sides whispering; this was still when I hated Austin and I was adjusting to not having my mom to talk to.

"Since you seem to be the only person paying attention, will you please demonstrate the routine with Austin?" He asks.

I stand there for a moment with my jaw dropped; I was doing my best not to get noticed, yet Sakinah and Austin called me out in front of everyone. I nod my head and stand in position beside Austin. The music begins. I forget about the fact that everyone is staring at me, just waiting for me to mess up, and I move to the music. The song ends and I am breathless. Everyone is cheering for me; Austin stopped halfway through th song.

"Calli that was amazing!" Sakinah praises 'Let's all take a break, then we can come back and try this again."

The camera still rolls as I plop myself down, a few feet away from it. Austin comes to sit beside me; I can't help but roll my eyes.

"You're incredible, Calli." Austin says.

"Thanks." I answer shortly.

"When did you start dancing?" He asks.

"My mom signed me up for ballet when I was three and I stuck with it since then; I just learned more styles as I grew older." I answer.

I pause the video when Cori walks through the entryway with two bowls in her hands.

"I figured you could use sonething sweet right about now." She says, plopping herself down beside me. "It's chocolate mousse."

I take the bowl from her, and place a spoonful in my mouth. I sigh outloud. "This is amazing."

Cori smiles and takes a bite as well. "My mom and I used to make this all the time, when I was younger. After a bad day at school, fights with my best friends, or just for because I was sad this was an insatnt day brightener."

"I can see why." I laugh, taking another bite. "Are you and your mom still close?"

"She died when I was sixteen." Cori answers, staring at her bowl.

I look at her, wanting to ask what happened, but too afraid to question it.

As if sensing my hesitation, Cori says "Car crash."

"I'm sorry, Cori." I say sympathetically. "I know how hard that is."

"Your dad died in a car crash too, right?" She asks.