Chapter Eight

-Calli-

After dinner, Austin and I crawl into bed together, but I can't fall asleep. Even with my medication beginning to work, I struggle to get my mind to shut off. I toss and turn for over an hour, listening to Austin's soft snoring. If I didn't have this stupid cast on my knee, I would be in my studio dancing for hours. Instead, I crawl out of Austin's embrace, and place myself into the wheelchair. As I wheel down the hallway, I pass by Grey's room. He's sprawled out across his bed, snoring lightly. At dinner, his eyes were growing heavier every second. I don't doubt he was worn out from all the walking they did today, and tomorrow they are doing the same thing at Animal Kingdom.

I finally make it into the living room and pull open the drawer of old videos. At first I pick up Austin and I's wedding video again, but I put it back and grab a different one. After it's put in the DVD player, I wheel over to the sofa and lay myself on top of it. The screen changes from black to filling with the physical therapy center back in Texas.

"If it doesn't happen today Calli it'll be okay." My mom says from behind the camera.

"I know, mom." I sigh. In my eyes I can see the determination and fear. This is the day I took my first steps after the accident.

I slowly pull myself up from the seats, my crutches gripped tightly in hand. That alone wears me out. My breathing is heavy and tears are leaking from my eyes.

"Cal are you okay?" Nathan asks.

"Take it easy, Calli." Marcus, my physical therapist, says. "Don't over do it."

"I can do this." I wheeze out. "I have to."

"Calli, you don't have to." Marcus places a hand on my shoulder. "You'll do it when you're ready."

"I am ready, Marcus." I respond. "I know I can do this."

Tears are streaming faster and faster out of my eyes. "I have to do this, Marcus."

"Why Calli?" His voice is soft. "Why do you have to do this?"

I look up at him. Watching this over again I can see the bags under my eyes, and how much weight I lost from giving up so many times. I can see the fight coming undone inside of me.

"Because I hate this!" I cry. 'I hate this wheelchair. I hate not dancing. I hate not having Austin here to motivate me. I hate that stupid doctor for being right about me not walking ever again."

"Calli, breathe." Marcus soothes. "Stressing yourself out will not help you at all. Take a break and in ten minutes we'll try again."

The tape cuts and I'm left staring at the screen. I'm about to press play when Austin walks around the corner.

"What are you doing up?" He asks, sleepily.

"I couldn't sleep." I avoid looking at him. "I'm watching some of the old tapes."

"Which one?" Austin sits beside me on the couch.

"When I stood up and took my first steps with the crutches." I answer, leaning into his chest.

"Why this one?"

I shrug my shoulders. "I don't know. I guess I just needed the motivation."

"What aren't you telling me, Calli?" Austin takes my chin in his hand, forcing me to look at him.

An unwanted tear falls from my eyes. "What if this time I'm not that lucky?"

"Calli, you can't think like that!" Austin sighs. "I know its the easiest way to think, but it's not fair to you or anyone else."