Chapter Twenty Nine

The second my lips touch hers, I can't seem to force myself to pull away. Leaving her is the worst decision I'll ever make, but I don't know how much longer either of us can keep up with each other.

I finally remove my lips from hers and turn around, walking towards the front entrance. I can hear her sobbing down the hallway; I'm just thankful the music is loud enough that no one heard us screaming at each other.

She looked so broken, during the wedding. She wouldn't look at me at first, but the second she did i could see the damage that's been done. She's not eating and it's all my fault. Sometimes I find myself wondering if we'd be in this position, had I said no to going on this tour. Leaving was the worst decision I could have made.

There are footsteps running behind me. The sound of heels clicking becomes closer and closer. I turn around and Calli launches herself at me.

"Don't leave me." She sobs into my chest. "Please, Austin. I need you, you can't leave me. We have our son, we have our life together. You can't walk out on this!"

Her arms are wrapped around my waist, and she clings tightly to the fabric of my suit.

"I love you, Austin!" She cries.

I can't respond, because I know the second I open my mouth I'll tell her I'm not leaving. As much as I don't want to leave her, I know we need this.

"Say something!" She screams.

She pulls back and starts punching my chest. Her makeup had run down her face, and her hair is falling out of the clips. She's a mess, but she's still my beautiful mess.

"I love you, Calli." I whisper. "But I need to go."

"What?"

"I'm sorry, but we can't keep doing this back and forth thing anymore." I tell her. "We need to take a break."

"This is marriage." She says. "We don't just 'take a break' because we've been fighting."

"I think the tour keeping us separated is a good thing for now." I say, softly. "We just need to see what happens in May, when it's over."

"Cancel the tour." She whispers.

"What?" I look down at her.

"Before you left, you asked me to tell you to cancel the tour, and I said no. Now, I'm asking you- no I'm begging you- cancel this your and come home to me."

Her hands are on either side of my face, forcing me to look at her.

"What about my fans?" I ask her. "You told me no, because you didn't want to be the reason I let down my fans."

She steps back and her glare hardens at me. "When did pleasing your fans become more important than pleasing your wife?"

I close my eyes and know I'll regret these words the second they come out. "When my  wife began forcing me to choose between her and my first love."

"You're an asshole." She spits at me, before turning around and storming off.

I shouldn't have said it, but it was the only way I'd get her to stop fighting for me to stay.

She turns around once she's halfway down the hallway, our friends emerge looking for us. "What happened to 'I'll always come back to you?'"

She slips the ring on her left finger off, and hurls it at me. If she had been ten feet closer, it would've hit me in the face. Instead, it dropped to the floor and rolls until it hits the tip of my shoe.

The girls try to grab Calli's arm and talk to her, but she shoves them off and walks into the parking lot. No one makes a move. I stand at the end of the hallway, hands in my pockets, staring at the ring on the floor. Everyone's gaze ranges between staring at me, looking into the reception hall, and watching the parking lot.