12: Sickness

Present

As usual Saiki goes to class.
He wouldn't really be bothered by your absence today, but yesterday's awkward interaction had left him rather... on edge.
In the cafe that was.
You were sick, he guessed that much. It was because Itano 'coincidently' walked by that Saiki could hear her thoughts and figure that out. The pink-head drummed his fingers against his desk as he thought about you.
Sure, Saiki may have acted out of line, but your sudden urge to leave was expected. You were thought to be the type of introvert who would leave when they can.
There are some people who would stay and take the interrogation -just to be polite- but that wasn't you.
You knew when you needed to leave, and your social cues were on point.

Oh, Saiki looks so deep in thought!
Teruhashi's thoughts filled Saiki's head.

It was already hard enough to ignore the constant hum of the 300+ living beings in this school, but when they are directed at you it's much harder to ignore.
Saiki concludes.

Teruhashi went on to admire Saiki silently and soon more students fill the classroom.

Next Day

Groggily you get up to do your daily routine right away. There was not a minute to lose as you had to work off that fever. (Well just a cough really...)
Your dad had decided it was ok for you to go to school so you chose a mask and would carry on with your day.

Slumping onto your sand-coloured dining chair your breakfast was served right away. "I'm doing half day today so incase you need to come home early I'll be here!" Your dad informs, that silly beige apron swaying with his movements.

You nod and stare hungrily at the golden pancakes covered with your favourite toppings. Dad seems cheerful today...

"Well, dig in honey!"

I don't know what happened to my 'smaller proportions' but this is lit...
Or is it because I'm sick?
Did I get sick because of that?!

Class

At school no-one really pays you any mind. You guess it was the norm for these type of things and even though you thought you knew your country, some things just fly over your head.

"That's a cool designer mask. That's why you didn't come to school yesterday right?" Yoriko asks as she pays no attention to the fact that she got up really close to you...
"Yeah." Your muffled voice replied, feeling uncomfortable.

You were sick. Let's keep at a distance.

Yoriko pats your shoulder sympathetically and you guys go through the day, waiting for lunch-time eagerly.

Lunch

You cough mildly and glance around nervously. No one except sympathetic Yoriko noticed.
These things really are useful...

You pat down your pockets for change to buy lunch, but Yoriko intervenes.
"Let me get that for you (y/n)!" She offers.
You smile apologetically but then realize... she can't see your face.