8: Dodge-The-Ball

The teacher throws the ball up and immediately Haido goes in for the kill.
Grabbing it, he launches it across the field and hits one of your guys before they could react.

"Out!" The instructor yells, and the other class starts doing a victory dance already.

Saiki, whom you recognize now, looks as annoyed as you are and an exciting thought crosses your mind.

What if he's really really good at sports and doesn't want to show it like me? Time to put my detective skills to work!

You glance over at Saiki and you feel a chill run up your spine. Shaking that off you get ready. Someone from your team gets the ball and declares the strawberry-top his first victim.

All eyes on him now... a tricky situat-

He just let himself get hit?!

The boy just simply walks to the benches but fiery Haido cut his course short.
"Did you really get yourself hit?" He asks solemnly.
Busted now...

Saiki is forced to nod his head, but Haido's mood drastically changes.
"Well you're not out yet!"

Nani?!
The cart for the balls are destroyed!

"The face-safe rule!" Haido announces and you tune back into the game.

You stare at Saiki openly like the rest of your team, getting into a ready position.
You see his eyes straining to calculate the throw and guess he's some sort of math geek at least.
Then, the throw.

It weakly lands on Toritsuka who catches it, and Haido starts yelling at Saiki for his weak throw.

Or was it a little too weak..?

Shrugging it off the ball gets passed back to Nendou who takes out at least seven of your teammates!
With one throw?!
Fortunately -or is it unfortunately?- You, Yoriko and a couple of others stand tall.
You see a ball going for Yoriko and you prepare to throw yourself in, but at the last minute Yoriko jumps with a squeak out of the way.

"Ack!" She points to Rau, who appeared on the benches some time ago.

He... doesn't even have a DS with him? Is he that interested in our pathetic excuse for a dodgeball game...?

"Go guys! Don't worry about me!" He calls out, and immediately girls sigh at the angelic presence and even Teruhashi looks like she blushed.

How does he look even more rich with a broken arm...?
You sigh and take the ball from your fellow teammate and throw it to Haido.
Good, he'll dodge it and my turn will be out of the way.

But alas, the stupid strawberry-head had to jump in front of him, taking the hit for Haido.

"The game is not over!" Haido cries out and to make sure that Saiki's sacrifice wouldn't be in vain he jumps for the ball again, catching it... and landing on his belly, saving Saiki, and also making him the last man standing.

Shielding your eyes, you look away and snicker at the half-naked butt.
The rest of the class, -yours included- cheers for the class rep. You quickly glance around. This isn't going as planned. You were to be out within the span of the last 4 people, but instead you made it with Yoriko and Toritsuka.

3 against 1

For Haido, you at least knew the extent to his boundless energy, but as for Saiki, you don't think he's some wimpy nerd now...

"Bring it on Saiki!" Toritsuka challenges, and you see Saiki glance at your team again.
He goes in for the throw... and hits Toritsuka square in the chest, bouncing off him and landing on Yoriko's feet.

Without warning, your body acts on its own accord, dodging said ball and sliding against the pavement.
You've got to admit, that did give you an adrenaline rush, and it felt good to put your skills to good use...But alas, you weren't able to save your comrades on the battle field.

You must take out the enemy.

Nendou gave a low whistle. "You got this buddy!" He encourages Saiki, who you don't think needs any compliments at all.

Oh so I'm not good enough huh?!
You think angrily while Haido is still giving Saiki his pep-talk.

Meanwhile you stand there shifting your weight from one for to another, as apposed to the seemingly frozen kid across from you.
At least you were trying to look lively and not like a statue.

You try to get a good read on his face, and see his eyes glow.
Wait... no. It was probably a glare from the sun to his glasses.
Then, you feel your neck-hairs prickle, and your adrenaline rush seems to wear off.

Sheesh, my class is counting on me. And no doubt Saiki's class is too.

Suddenly the pink-head throws the ball. It's weak, and his teammates start booing, but you know this trick.
The good old fashioned spin-ball.
You shuffle away and let it drop, trying to ignore the boos from your own team.
Picking it up you fake a throw.
Saiki seems unaffected.
The hell? Not even a flinch?

You decide to go for real and instead of hitting him, it sails past him and you gain a member back from the outfield.

"Yes! Go (l/n)!" Rau shouts, and you freeze.
You turn around to face him, and scowl, scowl deeply, and you 'forget' that Saiki has the ball.
You expect to get hit, -it's a given- but you didn't think it would end like this;
Something smacking your butt.

Hard.

"Out!" The instructor yells, and your face flushes for real now.

"Sorry Toritsuka you're on your own now!" Yoriko announces. "Unless you get us back in...?" She flutters her eyelashes.
Wait, didn't she have a crush on Rau...?

You try not to make it obvious, but you need to really rub your poor and sore butt. You go to sit next to your good friend and you spare a glance at the guilty-party.
Saiki pays no attention to you, he doesn't even yell out a sorry.
He smacked your butt with a ball!

At least I'm not playing anymore...

Getting up, you head to the change-rooms for a drink.

Extra:

"(Y/n)!"
"You gracefully got yourself out, sparing a teammate. We shall remember this!" A certain blonde commented.

Back of Rau... I ain't looking for love.

———————///-
Hullo! Liked the chapter?
I promise more Saiki action will come up! And this chapter has about 900 words now! Yay!
I'm working on lengthening my chapters and it seems to slowly come together!
See you next chapter!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)