19: After

The weekend flew by for you and Tomi. He constantly texted you about that near-miss car crash, and honestly, it could've been worse.

You stared at yourself in the mirror. The glistening lights reveal the specs of dirt on the crystal glass. The fan in your washroom was running, the low hum always broken to some degree. You blink tiredly. Routine as it was, it was your life.

"Damn. I'm pretty." You whisper to yourself. Breaking the silence with your tone, you slam your fist down on the cold marble counter.

...

"School is over, finally." Itano sighs. She bumps your arm while taking her place next to you. You sigh and look behind you once more, seeing a blonde trying to catch up with you.

"Hello Yoriko, hi (y/n)!" Rau greets and stands next to you like a friend. Moments later Torikitsuka follows, and suddenly it's the four of you on this fine cold, fall day.

"So, anyone got anything tonight?" Toriksuka asks casually.

You roll your eyes as Yoriko's face lights up. "You know, we could go, the four of us... to a cafe!" She cast a hopeful glance at the blonde Rau, who quickly tore his gaze away from your face. "That's not a bad idea!" He agreed, and Toriksuka scratched his head.

"Yeah, that'll be fun, huh. I wonder if Saiki and Mikoto will come..." The purple haired mused.

Yoriko pouted. "Those two? They aren't in our class.."

You grimance.

That Saiki name is becoming all to familiar...

" You know what, I'm sure you guys have some stuff to do we ca-"

"Please don't ruin our double date!" Yoriko exclaimed. You held back a smile.
"I-I mean..."

"She means she likes you, Rau." You explain. There was a pause. Then it clicked. The popular blondes face heat up in embarrassment while Yoriko was red as a tomato. "Is it true?" He asked. The ravenette brushed her hair away from her face.

"Y-yes."

"Then why don't we go all together, the four of us. Let's have some time together. Deal?" He offered softly. Yoriko nodded.

You let out a silent sigh of relief. Somehow, Toriksuka didn't make a peep. He looked stunned. You struggled to fight back a smile. "Well if that's all sorted, can I go home?"

...

On your way home you watch as a red leaf floated from a tree, which branches was almost fully bare. The walk to a now familiar place took only 10 minutes. You arrived in front of a small building in a popular plaza near a mall. As you open the glass door a kid your age greets you.

"Hey (y/n)! How are you?" The kid asked. You yawn as you walk to the old chipping counter. "Fine. And you?"

"I'm good, thanks! You know Halloween is coming up soon... do you know what you'll be?" The boy pressed. He leaned up against the counter as he talked, seeming to want to get closer.

You raise an eyebrow while putting away your jacket. "Dunno... probably slap on some devil horns and call it a night." You didn't look up as you opened the door behind the main counter.

"Really? Come on, have some fun!" He replied. The guy had curly brown hair and glasses. He had a lopsided smile as he followed you into the back room. "Oh we moved the volunteer binder, let me get it!" He fixed his apron and walked to shelf lining the back room. There was a strong smell of coffee and the odour of dogs. You wrinkled your nose as you watch the boy grab the binder from one of the highest shelf.

"You moved it on purpose didn't you?" You snark, snatching it from his hand.

His face heat up in response, but you already had your head down signing in your hours.

"O-of course not!" Came the brunette's feeble voice.

"Tch, you're always showing off Nari." You thrust the book back into his hands and shrug off your sweater as well. "Anyways- I'm going to clean the dog cages. You better get back to the counter unless you want someone to rob us~"

"Ah! Right!" the brunette exclaimed. Without a moment to lose, the harsh sounds of rubber soles against the grimy tiled flooring of the shelter echoed throughout, a desperate Nari running out and leaving you to your duties.

The dogs who resided in the kennels started to bark as soon as you opened the door. You were hit with the nasty smell of dog poop. "Calm down. It's just me." You murmur and pull on a pair of gloves.