7: Pre-Game Ritual

Like always you wake up before your alarm and turn it off.
You shake off sleep quickly and do a morning stretch. Usually, as part of your routine you go for some stretchy-yoga and that's exactly what you did.

Not.

I need to be able to dodge... but also bump into people so not to appear suspiciously good...
You chuckle slightly, you can act out having amateur skills, and it'll be way more fun than it would seem.
Well, hopefully.

That's what you like to think anyways...

You open your empty-ish fridge, get some food, and make an extra cup of tea. Taking a sip, you see a morning text from your friend.

"c u there! Cant wait to show a certain some1 my skills!"
Itano sent.

You smile while still yawning. After a bit you check the time and gather your school supplies and think of something...

Ice-cream...

Welp, you can't argue with the stomach, so ice-cream it is this fine fall weather.

"Dad I'm taking ice-cream ok?! Just this once!" You call out, crossing your fingers he won't object.
Hearing nothing you shrug and open your freezer, which is now stocked with frozen foods and way more ice-cream than you'd usually have in the summer.
Ha, making up for loss of food with sugary creams? That's what you get dad!

You reach for your favourite bar of ice-cream and throw the wrapper away.
"Bye dad!" You call out, satisfied with your breakfast now.

Along the way you listen to music, blasting it. Not long after a couple minutes, the best song in your playlist plays. You hum along, not wanting to disturb the whole street with your incredible demonic screeches, and try to appear as a normal high-schooler.
No matter the genre, spoopy or sappy, it was the best song.
And the chorus came along.
There was just you now, alone and one with your music.

"/n)!"

"(y/n)!"

"(Y/N)!"

"(Y/N)!"

Your friend yells your name and seeing the incoming engulfing arms, determined to stop the horrible sounds, you, -determined to not stop,- dodged it skillfully and then stopped suddenly.

Then, you yell some more.

"(Y/n)! Please!" Itano pleads.
Having mercy you pay attention to your friend and tuck away your music.

"So..."

"Wait why are you eating ice-cream in the middle of fall?!" Itano exclaims, nodding towards the slow-melting bar in your hand.
You take a bite of it and answer, "Cuz' I wan nu."

"Uh... huh..."

"Also around this time in Texas you'd probably eat it too ya'know."

Itano smiles nervously.
"Well I heard that Rau wants to come and cheer us on in our tournament isn't that cool?!" Itano suddenly changes the topic, her face heating up as she makes frantic hand gestures.
You chuckle at her helplessness for the boy and realize something... she had been calling you (f/n) for a couple days now, so you should probably start calling her Yoriko...
"Yoriko... don't you think you should try and get to know him a little bit...?" You suggest, polishing off the last few bits of ice-cream.

Yoriko actually goes quiet for a second. "Yeah, I guess I should take it slow... we don't want to overwhelm him with these powerful feelings just yet! We should slowly build our relationship, and then he'll decide that one day we should take it-"

"That's not what I meant!" You laugh, man, this girl's hopeless!

You walk to school listening to Yoriko's taste in men while you comment on your taste in ice-cream.

School

The class buzz's with dull excitement as you receive a pep-talk from your class representative, who admittedly cannot and will never be as athletic as Haido, class 3's representative. Your class will lose... and for good reason.

One, they have Haido of course.
Two, they have that Nendou guy who is likely the dumb jock, with that scary butt-chin and all...
And three, your class doesn't have that much athleticism, and you don't even know the other class personally too.

You still smile though, you are deviously planning the perfect move.
One, you could go out bravely protecting a classmate, or two, just 'miscalculate' a jump and get hit out.
Don't forget to show off of course!

While you mull over your plan, the class walks into the dodgeball field and you see the opposing team.
"Uh..." Toritsuka glances at the seemingly worked out students.
"D-did they already work out before we came...?"

Haido nods his head enthusiastically. "Actually we had a double period of PE so we did some strength games and such. I'm so pumped for today's match!"

"Well they must be tired out after that... right?" Someone else comments.

Toritsuka shakes his head sadly. "The ghosts have spoken, they trained and are still full of boundless energy. We will go with honour at least."

What...?

Itano -or Yoriko- tries to knock some sense into Toritsuka. -which means violently punching him- "Quit it! Rau still has to come! We have someone to play for!"

Like our own Teruhashi...

Haido -as fired up as usual- shakes hands with your class rep and makes a big lecture about teamwork and good-natured fun, while team-bonding and stuff like that.

"Without further a-do, lets get this game started!"

——////———-
Am I being a tease? Should I just merge the dodge ball chapter with this one... ?
This one has like 800 words without the authors note... 🤔

Nah I guess! Read on! :3