This Is It

Days flew by, quick. Everything was the same to me. Each day I woke up, thinking that something would change. Nothing ever did.

Except for the fact that I was being positive. That's big for me. That's something I'm usually not good at. I knew that all I had to do was stumble across an old photo, or see Tom in town, and I'd instantly have to start all over again. So I tried my best to stay away from diners and public places and I stayed out of our bedroom for a while.

"Jessica if you don't get your butt up, I'm going to drag you off of the couch." Kate said jokingly.

I laughed. "You would really do that to a pregnant woman?

Kate thought for a moment. "No. In fact... I wouldn't. Damn. Just get up!" She concluded.

I chuckled. "If you say so."

I stretched my arms. Finally well rested.

"Do you want breakfast?" I asked Kate.

She nodded. "Sure, I'll help you."

We stood in the kitchen, cooking and talking about random things. Usually strange questions that Kate asked... those were the things that started our conversations.

"What if, T and Junior were conjoined twins, like... they shared the same body?" Kate asked curiously.

I rolled my eyes. "Where do you come up with this stuff!?"

She walked in front of me. "No! That could happen, you know! I saw it on T.V."

I shook my head, smiling slightly. "These are not the kinds of things I like talking about when I'm ready to have my children any day! Are you trying to make me scared?"

"Sorry, its just... that would be crazy." She said.

I laughed. "You're crazy!

When we sat down to eat, I was immediately distracted by the pain in my abdomen. Normal. Contractions. I've suffered with them off and on for a while. But they were slightly different.

More frequent, more... painful. More, existent.

I ignored them, trying to position my body comfortably.

Kate looked at me. "Are you okay?"

I smiled. "Yup. Normal, contractions."

Kate looked down as her eyes widened. "Is that normal!?" She said pointing to the floor.

I looked down to see a puddle, finally putting the pieces together in my mind.

My water broke.

"Kate, go start the car." I said as calmly as possible.

Kate got up and rushed outside. I grabbed the bag of baby stuff I had prepacked, along with a bag of my belongings.

Before I left I opened the door to Tom and my bedroom. I took a couple things and stuffed them into the bag.

I felt another contraction. Kate came running in, in sheer panic. "What! What do I do now?!"

I looked at her with the most serious expression "Help me to to the car. Kate... this is it."

-

-

As we drove, I focused on my breathing. I had seen a lot of movies. Obviously they over dramatized them, but I tried breathing like they did. I gotta say, it kind of worked. Deeps breaths.

Kate was a nut case. More than her usual self. She was scared. I understood that. But right now, I needed to be the scared one. And she needed to be, well... the comforting one.

We got to the hospital and Kate ran in to ask for a wheel chair. Even though SHE DIDN'T NEED TO ASK PERMISSION.

She ran it out and helped me into it as nurses came and pushed me into the hospital.

My hands became shaky. I focused on my breathing, trying to take each contraction, one at a time.

Once I was set up in the hospital, the monitor told me when I was going to be at 10 centimeters. Until then, I had to wait.

I was at 7 centimeters. When I got to 10, I could start pushing.

Kate came into the room. "Hey how are you?"

I sighed. "Could be better. But... I'm ready for this. Where were you just now?" I asked curiously.

She smiled. "Just outside... getting some air."

I knew she was lying. But I didn't have time to grill her on it. I didn't have the energy.

-

-

A couple hours passed and the pain grew. I was having no epidural. I know, its crazy. But I didn't want it for my children.

"Your at ten centimetres, Mrs. Hiddleston. Its time to start pushing." One of the nurses said.

Just before I got ready, the door swung open.

My jaw dropped. "Tom?" I said his name, trying to focus on everything happening around me.

He walked over to me and gave a slight grin. "I'm here."

He made it! 4-5 more chapters left! Still so much to happen! Keep reading! x.Ashley