Chapter17

Hello everyone!

Like I promised in my last note, here I am with a new chapter!

Enjoy!

***********************

"You have to wake up daddy. I have missed you so much," Lillian said in a hushed voice while gripping her father's pale hand.

She felt the tears stinging her eyes when the only response she got was the continuous beeping from the medical machines.

"I missed your voice, Dad. Please open your eyes, I need you so much. You can't leave now, who will go shopping with me? Who will hold me when I cry.........." a sob broke free and Lillian lowered her head and cried for what felt like hours.

She knew her father's condition was critical, but she didn't picture him weak and helpless. The man was barely breathing. His chest was covered in bandages and his neck supported by a cast. A long tube was in his mouth, and it was hooked to a breathing machine. The only sign of him being alive was the slow rising and falling of his chest.

With shaky hands, Lillian wiped her tears and said with a weak smile on her blotchy face.

"It will be okay, dad. I know you will pull through this. Keep fighting for me. Please, daddy."

"He will be okay Lillian. Our father is strong." Came Jackson's soothing voice.

A sigh of relief escaped Lillian and she ran to her brother's open arms. She hugged him tightly and cried once more on his shoulder.

"Stop crying baby." Jackson hushed her while caressing her hair and rubbing her back soothingly.

When Lillian was calm enough, she stepped away from his embrace and went back to her chair next to her father's bed.

"You need to take a break, Lillian. You were here all morning. I will stay by his side while you go and rest at home. Okay?" Jackson spoke gently in his crouching position facing her.

"I don't trust you," Lillian said blankly.

"What?" Jackson took a step away from her as if she slapped him.

"Don't feign surprise brother. You were the one who betrayed my trust. So deal with it."

Lillian green eyes were burning with rage and anger. It was the first time Jackson saw her like that.

"What do you mean? I didn't do anything to betray your trust."

"Don't play dumb brother. It's sure as hell don't suit you." Lillian hissed.

"If you call my actions in protecting my sister betrayal, then okay, I will take it," Jackson spoke coldly when realization dawned on him, and he understood his sister's implications.

Lillian let out a dry laugh from her trembling lips.

"You know how much daddy means to me, but you left without a care in the world. I thought you gave orders to Ethan or Hunter to escort me here, but noooo you were okay with forbidding me from coming here. You promised to always be there when I need you. It is the law in our family. We have to be always there for each other. Today, I needed you, but you weren't there. If I didn't escape the camp, I would have been sitting in my room and crying like a helpless little girl." By the end of her speech, Lillian was panting harshly.

Jackson closed the space between them and stood in her face looking at her with his icy blue eyes.

"This place was under attack. It took us nearly two hours to get the situation under control. Dad was already shot and fighting for his life. I wasn't prepared for you too to be in the middle of that chaos. So think whatever the hell you want, because I will take the same decision if I am in this situation once again. Yes I promised to be there for you no matter what, and I don't intend to break my promise, but there is something more important and sadly, you don't see it. It is your safety what matters more." Jackson paused his ranting to take a breath then continued "and by the way, If the DON or another member of the family stopped by and asked you about your way of coming here, leave Anna out of your little escapade story."