Epilogue

Five Years Later

The watery daylight pushed back at the darkened edges of dawn, reclaiming the colours of day that had been washed into grey by the moonlit night.

Hermione Malfoy tangled her legs with her husband's, and wrapped an arm around his torso.

He shifted away from her, and she stuck her bottom lip out, pouting.

"You're awake," she whispered. It was a statement.

She felt him shift away from her.

"Draco," Hermione whispered.

"Mhmm?" He grumbled under his breath.

She bit her tongue, and rubbed her feet against his calves. Feeling him tense under the covers, she smirked slightly.

"Draco," she called again, this time throwing a leg over both of his.

He scooted backwards, closer to her, until his back hit her swollen belly.

She lifted her hand and gently ran her fingers through his soft, blond hair.

"Fine," she exhaled. "I give up."

At this, Draco turned around, his gaze steady on her. He raised his brows in a silent question.

"I said I'm giving up, alright? We'll name her Cassiopeia," she sniffed.

Draco smiled lazily at her, and leaned forward to place a kiss at the corner of her lips.

"Admit it, it's a beautiful and unique name," he said as he took one of her hands in his own, his voice heavy with sleep.

"Beautiful? No. Unique? Yes," Hermione made a disgusted face.

Draco chuckled, the sound reverberating across the room and thundering inside her chest.

She loved his laugh more than anything else.

"We can call her Cassiopeia Rose Malfoy," he said softly and placed his palm flat on her belly.

She snorted. "That's atrocious."

"No, it isn't," he countered.

"Cassiopeia Rose Granger-Malfoy," she said, smirking slightly at the baffled look on his face.

"I'd never give my child a hyphenated name!"

"But I would, Draco Malfoy, and I will. And you should know better than to argue with a heavily pregnant woman at this time in the morning!"

Draco raised his hands in surrender. "Fine, woman. No need to scare me. We'll ask Scor what he likes. Deal?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You're going to take a four year old's opinion while disregarding mine completely? Really, Draco?"

"Gods, Hermione! Remind me why I got you pregnant again?"

"Because you wanted a daughter," she pointed an accusing finger at him.

"Correction," he said. "I want a daughter."

"And you're getting one," she smiled at him.

Draco laughed. "Salazar, your hormones are all over the place, aren't they?" He pulled her closer and tucked her head under his chin.

She hummed in response and he held her until she decided it was time for breakfast.

......She wanted to have pickles for breakfast.

Draco gagged.

************************

"Why is mum staying here, dad?" Scorpius whispered. Draco pulled his son closer to him and ran his fingers through his soft, blond curls. "Because you're about to have a little sister."

"But you said she'll come before Christmas," the little boy said.

Draco sighed and kissed his forehead, pushing his fringe away from his face.  "She couldn't wait to meet you, so she's coming early," he told him with a smile.

Scorpius hummed in response, his eyes lighting up. Just like his mother's when she'd find a new book, Draco thought with a small smile.

"Mr Malfoy," the healer stepped out of the room, and gave him a reassuring smile. Draco visibly deflated and stood up. "Congratulations, Mr Malfoy. Your daughter and wife are completely healthy."

And Draco could've cried. They'd had to opt for a C-section because the baby hadn't been in the right postion and Hermione's water had broken. An emergency operation like this was hard to come across in the Wizarding world. The last time he'd seen one, it was of his own mother but his sister hadn't survived.

"Thank you," he said to the healer before grabbing Scor's hand. "Are you ready?" He asked his son. "Yes!" The boy yelled excitedly.

When Draco entered the room and saw his wife on the bed, holding Cassiopeia Granger-Malfoy, Draco was sure he could never love her any more than he already did. But when Hermione gave him a tired smile, he figured he was wrong. He was going to love them until he couldn't love anymore, and that would only happen on the day he died.

This was his family. His family. Once upon a time he'd been ready to father Astoria's child. Their child. When she'd miscarried, Draco had thought his world had ended. He had thought he'd never become a father. After the war, he'd been waiting to receive the Dementor's Kiss. Hell he had been eager to receive it.

And now. Now, all he could- he would- ever ask for was to be with his family till the end of time, to watch his children become adults, and to grow old with the love of his life.

He smiled back at her with such raw emotion visible in his eyes, it made her heart pound. "Come on," she whispered and held her hand out. Draco closed the door behind him and walked towards the bed. He carefully took his daughter in his arms and then leaned down to kiss his wife's forehead.

"I love you," he whispered against her skin. She gave him a dazzling smile in return and grabbed Scorpius's hand, pulling him into a hug. Draco sat beside her on the bed and let Cassie meet her elder brother. Scorpius gently touched her forehead, as if testing if she was real or not. Then he grinned and leaned down to place a kiss on her tiny nose.

"She's so tiny, dad!" He exclaimed. Hermione laughed and ruffled his hair. "So, did you like her?" She asked softly.

"I think I love her," Scorpius replied seriously. Draco chuckled softly and looked at Hermione who shook her head, smiling.

And as Draco looked down at the baby in his arms. So delicate, so precious. An innocent and pure life that he helped to create. He lightly touched his pinky to her red cheeks, and she rewarded him by opening her eyes. Draco's heart filled with an immense amount of love. He'd never thought Malfoys were capable of loving, yet here he was, so full of love that it almost hurt.

The grey eyes that stared back at him were a mirror image of his own. He smiled at his daughter. His daughter, Merlin! And he swore to protect her till the day she'd let him.

"She opened her eyes! She opened her eyes!" Scorpius yelled. Hermione hushed him and looked at Draco. Draco looked back at her with wide eyes, and then looked at the baby in his arms. Her legs kicked in a tiny ragged motion, and then there's that pout and the tremble of her lips. And then she opens her mouth and lets out a wail that could rival her brother's.

   T H E   E N D
Thank you so so much for reading and loving A Story of Love. If you have any requests or tropes in mind, then please feel free to let me know.
Love x
Blondfirefly