38 Winter's Heart

POV Jack

Christmas. It was the time of the year when wonder is spreading around the world. The wonder created by children, who are imagining the most wonderful things. I am a guardian who’s job is to be the fun. Now is the winter season and I am doing final touches to give people the perfect winter wonderland for Christmas. Creating frost to twirl around the trees like icy flowers was my responsibility.

What would be better than waking up on Christmas morning to look at the shimmering frozen sight.  Well, maybe the presents but I am sure that every kid loves to try out their new sled out early in the morning. It could be hard without snow, am I right.

I knock a street lamp with the end of my staff and I watch how the frost sneaks on its surface up towards the light. I am smiling to the sight, admiring the beauty that winter holds. Oh how I have missed bringing winter to world, creating snow days and having fun with kids. The snow fights are the best.

I sure heard a speech from other guardians, how I should be more careful and avoid curses. Apparently last winter was a bit messed up since I wasn’t controlling the Winter Spirit. Now I am back together with the Winter Spirit, this time my memories are back. However thinking of the first week after the Winter Spirit joined with me again still gives me a headache. Just imagine years of memories rushing back to you, from two different lives that are combining. But I regret nothing, now I know who I am.

The wind takes me up in the air when I call it, I spread my arms and spin around. I am flying above Burgess, my old home town. I left it to last place which I visit this Christmas. I must give a ride to someone. Over two months ago I died, again. That was when the Winter Spirit joined with me again, using the part that was in Elsa and untouched by the curse. It purified me, lifted the curse away and the whole Winter Spirit could come back to me.

I land to my old homes yard and I throw a snowball near a bedroom window which is upstairs. It slams to wall. I see how the window opens and Emma smiles to me. Elsa and I decided that it would be the best to tell everyone that I died. That is how we explained our missing from Emma’s wedding, by Elsa taking me to hospital where my life ended. There was even a funeral arranged but soon I learned that Emma believed in me, she saw me in my own funeral. She almost arranged me a new funeral when she realized that we let her believe that I died. Well, technically I died but came back as the Winter Spirit.

“Hey! Ready to visit Arendelle?” I yelled and she hushed me. “What? Only the kids that believe in me can see and hear me! And you!” I laughed and Emma rolled her eyes. She jumped down and I caught her. She ruffled my hair and gave me a sly smirk, “So how is the mourning widow?” My cheeks blushed.

I cleared my throat, “Elsa is fine. How are mum and dad?” I let Emma stand on her feet. “They are alright considering the fact that they buried their son. Again. Well, they knew that it would happen so they are slowly moving on,” Emma smiled faintly.

“Fly away Spirit!” Emma jumped to my lap and I gasped when she wrapped arms around my neck. “I am not a horse, Ems,” I glared at her. “Well, blame yourself for not being there as a big brother! I really would have wanted to pretend that you’re my pony.. Dad got back problems, you know,” Emma laughed. “Haha,” I rolled my eyes and I jumped up. Emma started to scream.

I grunted, “Emma. My ears are ringing.” She started to laugh, “Sorry! My first time flying you know!” She smiled and spread her arms. “You might want to hold on to something, I will fly faster now,” I grinned to her and her eyes widened. Her arms went around my neck quickly.

Soon we were in Arendelle and I took Emma inside from Elsa’s bedroom window. “Elsa!” Emma squealed and run to hug Elsa. Elsa responded to Emma’s hug and I walked closer. “So, how did you explain that you’re not at Burgess in Christmas morning?” Elsa smiled to Emma. “Well, Rob is working and my parents I told that I have work today. Piece of cake!” Emma laughed.