Chapter 106

(Anna)

We ran together into the fight, but we split up once Loki realized that Harry was coming after him. 

I went towards Teagan, knowing I was taking a dangerous change, but I didn't have any other options at this point. 

I punched him in the jaw before he could react. "Start talking!" I yelled. I needed some answers. My best guess was that their deaths had been faked, that they'd been captured by Hydra and then had their memories wiped. 

But what if they didn't, what if they were simply being persuaded? 

"We can talk later, little sister. Come back with me first." Teagan's voice dropped low, trying to use his power of words on me. I plugged my ears, slapping my hands on the side of my face, anytime he spoke. I simply read his lips. 

"Go to Hell!" I screamed at him. 

Suddenly, I heard Thor barreling through Hydra's minions, thowing them this way and that, his hammer spinning and lightning enveloping him. 

I turned my attention back to Teagan just as I heard Loki scream out. 

I swung around, terrified of what I would find. Harry had a bow and shot it, but not at Loki. It made its mark on Laufey's heart, shining bright and blue. Laufey screamed out in pain and turned to ash. I watched as Loki hurled himself at Harry, the bow falling out of his hands and over the edge of the Rainbow Bridge. Loki put his hands around Harry's throat stangling him. 

Without warning, Loki flew back, off of Harry and on to his back. Harry coughed and slowly got up, a horrible grin spreading across his face. Then, to my horror, Loki began to hold his own neck choking. He wasn't stangling himself, but an invisible force was. 

Raymen. 

Before I could gather my senses and go help Loki, Teagan wrapped me in his arms, trapping my own arms against my body. I tried to use my powers against him, but he kept whispering in my ear not to use them. 

I screamed out as he put his hand over my mouth. I bit him, tasting blood, and using the momentary distraction to elbow him in the stomach. He grunted, letting me go. 

And I ran. 

I ran as fast as I could to get to Loki, to save him. I owed him so much. And so much of this was connected to me more than it was him. I belted out his name, letting him know that I was on my way. I knew Teagan was chasing after me, but I didn't care. I threw ice behind me, hoping it would hit. 

I jumped up into the air, swinging my leg around my body and kicking out. I made contact and provided Loki with momentary relief. Raymen flickered for a moment before becoming visible again. He stared at me, his eyes anxious. "You don't understand!" He screamed. 

"What? That you've been turned into a monster?" I yelled back. I heard Teagan approaching, running to fast with too much momentum, his body off center. I didn't even have to turn around, and at the precise moment, I dropped to a crouch, making him stumble over me, his arms flailing. 

Loki was starting to get up, but he showed signs of lack of oxygen, and was still weak. He tried to stand several times, but fell back to the ground almost immediately. But no one was paying attention to him. They were all paying attention to me. 

And I was paying attention to the Frost-giants, who had noticed Laufey's ashes. They seemed angry but not defeated. So why were they walking away. "Where are you going?!" I yelled, unable to help myself. Hydra warriors were gaining, some of them slipping down into the villiages. 

My head started to spin in panic. 

Loki had finally gotten up and hobbled over to me, his neck already showing bruises. "It was part of the deal." He weezed. "If anything happened to Laufey, the Frost-giants would no longer help, but would turn their attentions elsewhere." He stared down Teagan and Raymen. 

I watched in abhorrence as half of the Frost-giants headed for the villages and the other half headed for the weapons vault. 

We were doomed.