Chapter 31

(Dr. Martinez)

"I want you," Mrs. Anderson pointed a bony finger at me. "To go with Harold."

Apparently, Harold Anderson had found where the subject had gone. Which was all great and everything. It meant our asses were saved and that we could back to work.

I just didn't trust the guy.

"This way, doctor." Harry said impatiently. I followed him to the elevator and through the lobby. There was a standard black SUV waiting for us, with it's doors open. Harry motioned for me to get in first, and then he slid in beside me.

For the first hour, he stared out his window, tapping his fingers incessantly on his knee.

"How long of a drive is it?" I ventured.

"A long one." Was all he said.

Great. Awesome. Just perfect. A long car ride with a maniac who was apparently part bloodhound.

Wonderful.

There was a daily paper stuffed in the side of the door. I decided I might as well pass a few minutes drifting through the articles. I was happy to see that it was today's paper. At least I knew I hadn't read it before.

As I scanned the various boring columns, there was one that caught my eye.

"Huh, interesting." I said aloud. Harry raised his eyebrows, indicating me to continue.

"A local limo driver was found dead in his apartment this morning. His throat was slit down to the bone and there were no signs of struggle. The residence has not turned up any prints, murder weapon, or any other clues as to point authorities to a suspect. NYPD encourages the city that they are looking into it with every ounce of power. Arnie Winters was 64 and was succeeded by no one. He was a well-loved member of the community and will always be remembered."

I looked at Harry with sad eyes. Arnie had driven for SHIELD on multiple occasions, for multiple people. It was so sad to hear that he had been murdered.

"Interesting." That was all Harry said before he looked out the window again.

*********

Finally, the car stopped and Harry waited for his door to be opened for him. Once out, I looked around at our surroundings and was surprised to fine none. We were quite literally in the middle of no where.

"Is this the right place sir?" the driver asked.

"Ye-yes. It's the right place. Just wait in the car for us." The driver walked back to the comfort of the air conditioned vehicle.

Harry began to slowly walk this way and that, a tranquilizer gun in his hand. If the girl was anywhere near us, she sure as hell wasn't with in eye sight.

Harry stopped and took of his sunglasses, running his head as if he had a headache.

And then he began to jog further into no where, and I was forced to follow.

***********

(Harry)

This had never happened before.

I never, EVER, had a problem tracking someone down. But the girl's trail and become fuzzy and disjointed. She had someone with her, but for some reason, I couldn't get a fix on him.

And I knew it wasn't because she had powers. That hadn't stopped me the last time I tracked her down.

I ran faster and faster. But her trail kept getting thinner and thinner, no matter which way I went.

And then I found it.

A large circle, with elaborate designs, had been burned into the desert floor.
I knew where she was, and I knew there was no way to get her back.

She was gone.

*********
(Dr. Martinez)

I tried to keep up with Harry as best as I could. I was gasping for breath when he finally stopped. At his feet was a burned Norse symbol.

Shit.

Harry fell to his knees and screamed at the sky.