Chapter 12 - Revenge

Dear Diary,

News of the soldiers return spread like wild fire through the village. Excited wives began running around making sure everything was perfect for when their husbands returned, Children thrilled that their fathers were coming home, parents desperately organising welcome home parties. Even my mother was putting on a facade and organising a welcome home party for Charles' return. Me? I was dreading it, for months I had been living in this perfect bubble with Jonathon, and now that bubble was about to burst.

My mother constantly tried assuring me that her plan would work and that after the dinner party Charles would leave me alone forever. The nerves had been building day by day, Charles would return today, and then our plan would be set in motion at the dinner party tonight. I wasn't as confident as my mother; she didn't know Charles like I did. What evil things he was capable of.

I had no intention of Charles being able to get anywhere near me tonight, I would make sure that I was ready to leave the moment he walked through the door.

I didn't have to wait to long for his return, nerves shot through me as I heard the door slam shut and his heavy footsteps stomping up the stairs. With a shaking hand I nervously placed a small amount of perfume that Jonathon had bought me behind each ear, on my left wrist, and neckline. I then rubbed my wrists together and stood up, pulling my coat on quickly as Charles walked through the bedroom door.

"My parents are throwing you a welcome home dinner" I smiled as sweetly as I could manage "Everyone will be there" I blurted out quickly.

"Esme" he practically growled "I've just walked in the door and you're fussing over a dinner"

"Sorry Charles, it's just, you're a little later than we thought. And we have to leave for my parent's house shortly." I said, forcing the smile to stay on my face. It wasn't strictly true; Jonathon had managed to find out roughly what time Charles would be home and insisted my parents held the dinner no more than an hour later, he was worried about me being left alone with him too long.

"I do deserve a party I suppose"

"Of course you do dear" I smiled, every inch of me cringing inside. All I wanted was to get as far away from him as possible, to be back in my bubble with Jonathon.

"Get over here" he growled. I took a deep breath, the fear coursing through my body instantly. Charles was stood next to what I now considered Jonathon’s side of the bed, taking his clothes off.

"You owe me" he scowled. I could feel the panic rising in my throat, it had been so long since I had been around Charles that, although I could never forget the hurt he cause, I had allowed myself not to think about it. But now, with him in front of me this way, there was no way I could ignore it any longer.

"We don't have time now" I said, trying to keep the smile from falling off my face. "We wouldn't want to let our parents down would we" I looked over at the clock, trying to prove my point. We only had another 15 minutes before we had to leave, and he still needed to wash and get dressed.

"Fine" he snapped "But tonight, you will do whatever I say"

"Of course" I nodded. How I managed to get out of that situation is a miracle. But I'd gotten stronger these last months, and I wasn't going to allow him to ever touch me again.

"Esme, for Christ’s sake smile woman!" Charles warned me as we approached my Mom's house. The nerves had kicked in on the way here. I knew that my Mom, Charles's parents, Evie and Jonathon, my wonderful Jonathon, were on the other side of that door. I was scared to death that this wouldn't work.

Walking through the door I was greeted by my mother enveloping me into an over affectionate hug.

"Don't worry Esme." She whispered in to my ear. Without answering I offered a weak smile, I felt sick I was so worried.