Before: Chapter 1- Request Denied

Pete didn’t know how long it had been since he had returned back to consciousness; the last thing he remembered was being grabbed before he passed out.  He was laid on his back on a cold wooden floor, in which he tried to sit up, but his whole body ached and a large throbbing sensation in his head prevented that, he was even too tired to fully open his eyes.

However, that was not what Pete was focusing on the most; he felt a liquid of some sort being poured into his mouth in fast droplets which made its way down his throat and eased the dry, burning feeling as well as restoring energy back into him. The liquid tasted sweet and rich, Pete moved his tongue to lick his lips and swallowed to take in the sensational taste….

That was until the moment he realised exactly what it was.

It was blood.

“No!” Pete cried, his voice coming out slightly hoarse as he lashed out with his hands and swiftly began to sit up to move away from the substance, his hands colliding with a large figure standing over him. Pete was able to open his eyes and despite his dark hair flopping down over them, he could still take in his surroundings:

He was in a large room, suspected part of a large house or manor, with an old fashion type décor and furniture scattered across the room which most of it seemed to belong to the 1800’s, Sofa's, chairs, paintings and all. Pete noticed there were no windows as they had been bordered up and the only source of light was a glow of the fire from the fireplace at the other side of the room and a large glass chandelier that hung on the concrete ceiling.

At that moment, a man stood in front of Pete and loomed over him like a shadow and Pete raised his head to face the man. He wore a faded grey suit that looked as if it belonged to the 1930’s and held a long, black cane in his right hand, the end of it inches away from Pete’s face. The man had brown hair that went down to the top of his jaw line with a bowler type hat place on top and deep grey eyes but the thing that caught Pete’s attention the most was the pale bone colour of his skin and a bright flash of fangs as the man smiled a sinister smile at Pete.

Fuck....

Pete made a move to scramble to his feet and run but was grabbed from behind by two strong figures, presumably the same two who grabbed him earlier, and forced down onto his knees in front of the man. He lifted his head up to face him.

The man spoke: “You’re Peter. Am I correct?”

Pete did not respond, but instead bared his teeth at him, flashing his fangs in his direction, grunting slightly as he tried to move out of the grasp on the two men, and failing.

“My name is William Beckett.” Said the man, before adding: “But you can call me ‘Sir’ or ‘Master’. Which ever one you prefer.”

“’Master?’” Pete hissed between his teeth. “Why in hell would I call you that?”

William gave a little chuckle and began twiliring his cane between his fingers. “Because I’m the one who made you what you are.”

For a moment, Pete was confused until another image flashed inside his mind at that point. It was the same memory as before, replaying itself in his mind- Pete feeling the life being removed from him as he began to black out. However, this time, he saw a face of a man in the corner of his eye, his fangs sunk into Pete’s neck…

The same man stood right in front of him now.

 Pete snarled and tried to lunge towards William, snapping with his fangs and burning to tear him apart, although his efforts were failing thanks to the two men who had strong hold of him and kept him on the floor. “You!” Pete screamed.

William gave out a burst of laughter towards Pete’s attempt to attack him. “Yes,” William said slyly. “I made you a vampire.”

Pete slowly stopped struggling and froze. He knew what he was now but he didn’t want to believe it, but it seemed like someone telling him made it a whole lot more real. Vampire. The word sent a chill of dread throughout him and made him feel sick and faint.

Pete spoke in a whisper. “Why?”

“Do you mean why do we turn others into vampires? Or why I turned you?”  William asked.

No shit, dumb-ass, Pete thought. He considered saying it out loud, but he thought insulting the vampire would be a stupid move to make.

William continued talking. “You see, we run this city. Everyone in it is either under our influence, or food for us to eat. As for you, Peter, you’re one of the lucky few we turn to join us.” He paused. “We usually turn vampires either to do work for us or out of boredom. But this is different. I turned you because I need an army.”

“Why the hell would you need an army?” growled Pete. “You only need an army if you’re fighting against someone! You’re fucking vampires!! Who would you need to fight against?”

William stopped twirling the cane. “Hunters.”

“Hunters?”

 “Yes. Vampire hunters.” William responded, baring his fangs as he paced in front of Pete. “There a very small group but they have managed to take out and kill a number of our own already. That’s why I need an army. So we can get rid of them.”

The way William said ‘our own’ and ‘we’ made Pete fill with hatred, like he refused to be associated in any way with them, which he did. “Well, forget it! I’m never joining you!”

William stopped pacing and slowly bent down to be at face level with Pete, a sharp look of annoyance crossing his face as if he expected Pete to give just one answer. “If you don’t join us, the hunters will surely kill you-“

“Then let them kill me!” Pete screamed in William’s face. “I never wanted to be a vampire! Let them kill me! I don’t care!”

William made a swift movement as fast as lightning and grabbed the bottom of Pete’s jaw, silencing him.

“I forgot to mention that you do not have a say in this,” he said slowly and slyly. “You will join me, whether you like it or not.”

Pete knew he had to act now.

He moved his head forward in a striking movement and his forehead connected with William’s nose. William let go of Pete and staggered backwards, blood of a rich red colour leaking from the wound Pete had made and a look of surprise was on his face. The two vampires who had hold of Pete loosened their grip slightly at the sight of their master injured.

That was all Pete needed.

He brought both elbows up and lashed out at the vampires, his elbows striking the vampires underneath their chins as they fell to the floor and moved away in pain. Pete stood up in a instant, his body rushing with adrenaline and his mind racing with a thought:

I have to get out of here.

Pete spun around to notice a wooden door behind him and without even thinking about it, he lunged towards the door and threw it open; lucky for him, it lead to outside and was night. He threw himself through and out the door.

The two vampires had managed to recover and were in the position to move towards Pete until a loud voice rang out across the room.

“Leave him.”

It was William’s. The two vampires hesitated before finally relaxing on command from their master.

Underneath the blood that covered his face, William smiled but it was sinister and evil. “He’ll come back.”

And with that, Pete took off running into the night.