Epilogue

Pete’s mind slowly became conscious once more, fading in and out constantly, but it felt like he had been in darkness for centuries, and for all he knew, it could have been.
Am I dead? That was the first thought that came to mind, and he wanted to speak the words out loud but a wave of pain washed his words away, feeling it rush in his veins. Pete could feel as his whole body ached and felt stiff, although the feeling slowly began to fade away as he regained feeling in his muscles; he became aware of his back against something soft and comfortable, which he presumed to be some sort of bed or sofa. His head was also throbbing, but at the same time his mind felt numb, like dark clouds were covering it and stopping him from thinking straight- he had to use all the will he could master to stop his head from spinning and sending him back into unconscious. However, the thing that he found the most strange was that his lips felt moist.

Pete tried to recall what happened, and for a few seconds his mind answered with silence, until images swarmed his brain, twisting his head, and felt as if they were playing right in front of him, except they felt more like nightmares trying to torture him rather than his own experiences: the searing pain overwhelming him as the burned in the sunlight, Thomas’s eyes growing darker and fading as he dug the blade in deeper into his throat, blood spilling before he saw Thomas’s detached head roll to the floor. The last thing he remembered after that was the relief as he finally left the sunlight’s path before the overcoming feeling of lightness he finally blacked out….
I did it, I killed him. Pete realised, as his mind started to become clearer. But how am I not dead then?

Suddenly, Pete caught a sound of something moving near him, and as Pete listened closer, he could hear the sound of lungs inhaling and exhaling and the sound of a heart pumping blood- someone was with him. Pete wanted to open his eyes, to discover what was going on around him, yet it felt like his eyelids had been sewn shut, unable to open them and that his mind was holding him in the darkness. Sucking in a sharp breath, he opened his eyes, although they slowly fluttered, wanting to close again but Pete wouldn’t let them. This time, Pete forced his eyes open and they stayed open; the first thing that Pete noticed was that there was a light, which was almost blinding at first and causing his vision to blur, but then his eyes adjusted and his vision became clearer: he was staring at what appeared to be a ceiling which appeared to be made out of stone and supported by a number of wooden beams- Pete instantly recognised it as the ceiling to the warehouse. But how did I get here? That was just one of the questions he wanted the answer to.

It was then that Pete made the instant decision to sit up, using his arms and hands to push his upper body up off whatever he was laid on, but a sudden stabbing pain shot through he stomach as he moved his hand to clutch it. He gasped. Even as a vampire, you weren't invincible.

“Pete!”

The voice shocked Pete, making him jump slightly and his head spun around to the source on instinct, his neck hurting as he did so. Yet the voice was recognisable, and made Pete feel comforted as he remembered the friendly voice, a feeling that increased as he caught sight of him standing a few feet away from him. He saw curly dark brown hair. 

Joe.

As much as he was relived to see him, Pete tore his eyes away from Joe to look at his surroundings: his guess about being in the warehouse was proven to be true as he identified the room he was in as being one of the warehouse bedrooms, and looked to find himself on one of the large beds, with Joe stood beside it, and sat upon bed covers of an indigo colour, but it didn’t hide the bloodstains imprinted onto it- his own blood. Apart from that, the room looked almost normal, with the weapons table in the far corner, the curtains half drawn, and other pieces of furniture such as a little wardrobe and the small table perched next to the bed.